• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tokyo, Japan today. Several different birds (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

Business trip to Japan this week.

Thoughts on these?

1 looks a bit like a starling?
2 No idea what this is but very beautiful
3 Cormorant but what kind?
4 some kind of egret?
5 also look a bit like starlings

These were all is a small park in the middle of the city of Tokyo. I saw all three of the big ones fly in so they are not captive.

Tomorrow is Saturday so don't be surprised if I have more Japanese birds! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2430.JPG
    IMG_2430.JPG
    575.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    438.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2480.JPG
    IMG_2480.JPG
    615.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2514.JPG
    IMG_2514.JPG
    594.8 KB · Views: 67
Brown-eared Bulbul
Little Egret, Pochard and Pintail
Great Cormorant, Pochard and Wigeon
Great Egret
White-cheeked Starlings

Seconded ( except there's no Eur. Wigeon in #4, they are all Common Pochard ). Temmincks / Japanese Cormorant has a greater extent of white on the face and less yellow bare skin which makes a distinct point on the gape and the feathers on the lower mandible / gular pouch form a forward pointing, rounded extension, unlike the vertical one in the photo.

Last edited:
Thanks very much! As you can imagine Japanese/Asian species are totally unfamiliar to me. But I have a weekend free this year so I took along my good camera. I expect looking for some assistance tomorrow too as the forecast is a sunny day. It is appreciated.

It has been a long time since I have seen either species, so perhaps someone can tell me why the egret in the second photo is not an Intermediate Egret. The bill shape seems to me better for that species than for Little Egret and the lore and feet colors not clearly suggesting one species or the other.

Seconded ( except there's no Eur. Wigeon in #4, they are all Common Pochard ). ...

Not sure they ALL are. |=)| Based on all I can see (bill, rear end) it looks to me like the far right bird is a Northern Pintail, though no idea if they occur there and/or are called something else.

Not sure they ALL are. |=)| Based on all I can see (bill, rear end) it looks to me like the far right bird is a Northern Pintail, though no idea if they occur there and/or are called something else.
You're of course right, there is a Pintail in #4.
Chris probably mistook the comment about the third picture (wich has Pochards and a Wigeon) as referring to the fourth one (Pochards, a Pintail, and no Wigeon).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back