• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzards and Red-Kite (1 Viewer)

xbted52

I went for a little 25 km walk down the trail and back. About half way through the trip, I look over at a field I'm walking past, and there's a couple of buzzards circling in a thermal. Just common buzzards, but one was a dark phase; the other was quite normal looking. So I watched them for a while, and the dark one kept folding its wings and diving and swooping up, like it was playing. It did this quite a few times. Then sometimes it would go over and make a gentle swoop on the lighter colored buzzard, and they would tap talons and then both of them would soar together for a while. This went on for a good 20 or so minutes, afterwards, another buzzard flew out there and soared with them a bit. Then, I heard some screeching from a tree on the other side of the path, and from out of that tree came a red kite. The kite flew over to the field and caught some lift too. So all in all, I got to watch 3 buzzards and a red kite for about 40 minutes, must have been some good lift in that field! Oh, and the new wave of swallows are here. Must have arrived yesterday, there are swallows everywhere!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back