• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiny, bright bug, Russia (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Anyone know what this is?

It's tiny 3-5 mm approx and has wintered in our home, found this morning.

Andy

Attachments

• 6709431557528506358-account_id=1.jpg
    6709431557528506358-account_id=1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hi Andy
Looks like Anthrenus scrophulariae L.
Adults tend to be pollen feeders but the larvae of it and a couple of relatives are the bane of insect collections, as well as carpets.
Martin

Hi Andy
Looks like Anthrenus scrophulariae L.
Adults tend to be pollen feeders but the larvae of it and a couple of relatives are the bane of insect collections, as well as carpets.
Martin

Many thanks Martin for the confirmation.

I had an infestation of 'wooley bears' at my place in the UK and was very lucky I think, to have got rid of them successfully. I've got a few bits and pieces like Porcupine quills and Silk Worm cocoons that I've picked up on my travels and both were infested. I found them under the carpet behind the unit where my curiosities were so blitzed the whole area with a strong insecticide. I gave the quills and cocoons a 5 second blast in the microwave then put them in the freezer.

I have a few stuffed birds which aren't cased and was very fortunate that they were not affected or I'm sure they'd have been lost. Must have caught them early?

The way I catch moths, through an open window in a porch, is I suppose, potentially hazardous in regard to introducing these blighters.

Btw Martin, I don't suppose this species can be sexed? If it were female I assume it will have laid eggs?

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back