• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello - and a question about mourning doves nesting in my window (1 Viewer)

ivalentina

United States
Hello everyone,

I'm in Brooklyn, NY, and for the past two weeks, a beautiful couple of mourning doves has been incubating their two little eggs on my window ledge. Overnight, the eggs hatched! It's so sweet and the chicks are so tiny. Dad came and took some of the egg shells away :') and now they have switched shifts again for the day.

Now my question - one day last week, I noticed a crow sitting in the tree that's right next to my window. I'm not sure if it saw the nest, and it seemed to get distracted by another bird and flew away. Later that day, I saw a group of crows circling above, and again one sitting in the tree. I got really worried because I know they eat eggs and hatchlings. I don't want to interfere, but I do want to give these birds the best change at survival :) the nest is pretty exposed, though it is right by our window, and I hope this will mean the crows will be slightly hesitant to approach. If I see crows again and they look interested in what's going on on our ledge I might put up one of those fake dead crows, but I obviously don't want to scare the parents away. I'm also worried that the nestlings might fall our of the nest at some point. Basically, I would just like some advice or thoughts if anyone else has experience with this kind of situation :) I know this is nature and they might not make it, but I really hope they will.

This is their setup:

IMG_4551 (1).PNG

Hi ivalentina and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'd be inclined to just let them get on with things without interference, as it may do more harm than good. Please let us know how they get on. Maybe someone from your side of the pond will have some other ideas though.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It is best to leave well alone. 🙂

I had a similar thing happen when I lived in Richmond, VA ~ 1995. A pair of doves built a nest on my windowsill, so I watched and listened.

No other birds or animals bothered them much, but they all seemed to take notice. It seemed to me that the crows and hawks knew where everything living thing was at all times and confirmed that from time to time by landing nearby and watching - everything.

The main thing I enjoyed was hearing the doves in the morning, mourning. I never knew until then that they have a little quiet motor-like sound before they coo. Like, brmmmmmmm…[mourning dove coo]. Some preparation may be necessary to make such a comforting sound.

mq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back