• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IS binocular - recommendation? (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
Hi. I just love the view in stabilised binoculars and the time has come to buy one. I just wonder which one you recommend at the moment?

I don't care that much if it's 10 or 12 magnification but I know that the old cheaper Canons did have some quirks (and still have) like a lot of CA. Mark II 12x36 perhaps?

Hi. I just love the view in stabilised binoculars and the time has come to buy one. I just wonder which one you recommend at the moment?

I don't care that much if it's 10 or 12 magnification but I know that the old cheaper Canons did have some quirks (and still have) like a lot of CA. Mark II 12x36 perhaps?

The 10x42ISL is the best quality Canon IS binocular, the only one in the lineup that Canon gave their L designation to.
I do not know how the Canon image quality would compare to that offered by the Fuji Stabiscope, but Fuji offers some superb optics as well. Of course, the ergonomics of the Fuji, designed for shipboard use, take some getting used to.

Canon 10x42 L IS WP

Canon 10x42 L IS WP ... well I've not tried the others, but this is my favorite binocular of all varieties. It has 2 draw backs. 1. It's heavy. 2. It takes batteries for IS.

I do find the optics are sensitive to heat waves so sometimes an 8x is better for distance view if the air is not clear.

If you are going to be carrying them a long while or using them for hours on end, then a lighter weight model with less bulk may be in order.

The built-in tripod screw can be used to fit a standard Arca-Swiss style quick-release place, then you can use a Rapidstrap arrangement easily with a small clamp.

I'd like to try the 14x40 Fujinon Techno-Stabi which would be great from a plane or boat.

I have had the whole Canon line and the only one I still have is the 10x42 IS-L. The rest of the line even though they have GOOD optics are not really alpha level. I would say the 10x42 IS-L is really close to having alpha level optics even without the IS. Once you push the IS button you probably get 30-40% better resolution than a normal hand held 10x binocular because you no longer are shaking. They are big blocky and heavy but they give you one of the best views of any binoculars I have seen. The Fuji and Nikon IS binoculars are really not as usable for birders as the Canon's are because of the type of technology they use. I find I am using them more and more even with their idiosyncrasies because they give such a great view of the bird. SHHHH. I hope nobody from the Swaro forum reads this. I will be marked as a traitor. The 10x42's are bright, sharp to the edges, control CA great and have excellent contrast. If you can get by their weight they really have an excellent view.

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah I understand that the 10x42 is a great pair of bins. But how about the (new?) 12x36 mark 3? www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XOD5C1W/r...x36+is+iii&dpPl=1&dpID=31ADma6SY-L&ref=plSrch

If you look in the canon threads, fourth down, you will see a thread I started about the new 10x30 is 2 and the 12x36 is 3. Only one review appeared and this only showed small improvements over the existing models.

http://www.binomania.it/canon-10x30-is-ii-e-canon-12x36-is-iii/

I would advise you to wait until the new models appear later this month.

Stan

I had the Canon 12x36 IS II and it is pretty nice and not too big but the optics just lacked a little contrast in my opinion and it is not as bright as the 10x42 IS. You have to remember most of the Canon IS binoculars including the 12x36 IS II only have a 3mm exit pupil which is going to make them not as bright as a normal binocular. Also, I found these lacked contrast. If you are used to the bright, vibrant, contrasty view of an alpha you will not care for the 12x36 IS II Canon. I sold mine. Also, if you look on Ebay you can usually get a like new Canon 10x42 IS-L for about the same $900.00 they want for the 12x36 IS III on Amazon. Here is one below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-L-IS-WP-10x42-Binoculars-/291532577324?hash=item43e0b21a2c

Last edited:
I had the Canon 12x36 IS II and it is pretty nice and not too big but the optics just lacked a little contrast in my opinion and it is not as bright as the 10x42 IS. You have to remember most of the Canon IS binoculars including the 12x36 IS II only have a 3mm exit pupil which is going to make them not as bright as a normal binocular. Also, I found these lacked contrast. If you are used to the bright, vibrant, contrasty view of an alpha you will not care for the 12x36 IS II Canon. I sold mine. Also, if you look on Ebay you can usually get a like new Canon 10x42 IS-L for about the same $900.00 they want for the 12x36 IS III on Amazon. Here is one below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-L-IS-WP-10x42-Binoculars-/291532577324?hash=item43e0b21a2c

Ok, good to know 😉 I'm used to Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 so then maybe the 10x42 IS-L would be a safer bet. But are they going to be refreshed (mark II) soon too?

Ok, good to know �� I'm used to Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 so then maybe the 10x42 IS-L would be a safer bet. But are they going to be refreshed (mark II) soon too?
I haven't heard anything. I really doubt it. I would be first in line if they did. Canon is funny. Camera's are their priority and binoculars are just a little side business it seems for them. They could develop the IS fairly cheaply because they had already developed the IS system for a video camera and they just transferred the technology to the binoculars. If Swarovski were to develop an IS binocular from the ground up the costs would be enormous. So really for the technology you are getting the Canon's are a bargain. If you have the Zeiss Victories 8x32 FL the Canon 12x36 IS will disappoint you. Get the 10x42 IS-L.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything. I really doubt it. I would be first in line if they did. Canon is funny. Camera's are their priority and binoculars are just a little side business it seems for them. They could develop the IS fairly cheaply because they had already developed the IS system for a video camera and they just transferred the technology to the binoculars. If Swarovski were to develop an IS binocular from the ground up the costs would be enormous. So really for the technology you are getting the Canon's are a bargain. If you have the Zeiss Victories 8x32 FL the Canon 12x36 IS will disappoint you. Get the 10x42 IS-L.

Launch costs for an IS glass need not be prohibitive. If Zeiss works with Sony and Leica teams with Panasonic, Swaro could easily work with Nikon, as Nikon is clearly not that focused on binoculars any more. If Nikon won't play, Olympus offers what is currently seen as the best camera stabilization available and they could use a friend.

Launch costs for an IS glass need not be prohibitive. If Zeiss works with Sony and Leica teams with Panasonic, Swaro could easily work with Nikon, as Nikon is clearly not that focused on binoculars any more. If Nikon won't play, Olympus offers what is currently seen as the best camera stabilization available and they could use a friend.
An IS Swaro would be something wouldn't it. I would be first in line for that one.

kriftoffer

what is your planned use for the binoculars
-general
-birding
-astronomy
-long hikes

issues are weight, waterproofing, in addition to magification

edj
the 10x42 would be better but much heavier

when faced with this decision and did not know if I would like the IS,
became 12x36 or 10x42
I got the 12x36 due to cost (about $700 vs $1250)
In retrospect
wish I had the better optics and waterproofing of the 10x
but glad I have the wt of the 12x

I am not sure that the difference between
10-12x and 36-42mm matters that much

edj

when faced with this decision and did not know if I would like the IS,
became 12x36 or 10x42
I got the 12x36 due to cost (about $700 vs $1250)
In retrospect
wish I had the better optics and waterproofing of the 10x
but glad I have the wt of the 12x

I am not sure that the difference between
10-12x and 36-42mm matters that much

edj
The Canon 10x42 IS-L is a lot brighter than the Canon 12x36 II and has better optics with Canon's L glass which is their best. To me the 12x36 view was kind of dead compared to the 10x42. The 10x42 is alpha level optics even without the IS being used. With the bigger exit pupil of the 10x42 you also have more viewing comfort and less blackout problems. Big difference between the two optically. The weight of the Canon 10x42 IS-L is only 1.6 oz. more than say a Swarovski 10x50 SV and once you get used to it it is no problem.

The Canon 10x42 IS-L .... has better optics with Canon's L glass which is their best. ....
Just to correct this statement; Canon does not have "L" glass in the sense stated here. The "L" designation is given to optical instruments that meet Canon's premium performance specifications. For Camera lenses they use to have a specified number of corrective elements (initially FL glass) and other requirements to meet an L specification. This specification has evolved with technology. I don't believe they have ever stated their requirements for the designation in a binocular, but it can be assumed it meets their highest standards at the time.

Lenses with the L designation do not always outperform their non-L brothers and sisters in all optical properties.

The L designation is largely believed to stand for "Luxury", and does not represent any specific optical formula, glass composition or manufacturing process.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back