• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Binoculars - replace battery door (1 Viewer)

I have Cannon 10X30 IS binoculars. The door for the battery will not latch anymore. I can buy a replacement part but I am not sure how to remove the old door and put in the new one. Anybody have any suggestions?

Hi,
Did you ever figure out how to do this? My battery door is broken and I would like to replace.

Thanks
Sorry to say, but no. I called Cannon and asked if I can get information about how to fix it. He said I should them them in and pay to have them look at the binoculars and they would let me know. I asked if I could just ask someone in the repair department a question and he said no. From the other things he said I got the impression that Cannon subs their repair work out. If you look at other comments on birrdforum about problems with the outside covering of the body of the binoculars they were unwilling to help. Probably the WORST customer service I have ever seen.

Sorry to say, but no. I called Cannon and asked if I can get information about how to fix it. He said I should them them in and pay to have them look at the binoculars and they would let me know. I asked if I could just ask someone in the repair department a question and he said no. From the other things he said I got the impression that Cannon subs their repair work out. If you look at other comments on birrdforum about problems with the outside covering of the body of the binoculars they were unwilling to help. Probably the WORST customer service I have ever seen.
Bummer…. My mom had these and hasn’t touched them for~20 years…( With the batteries still in there.). They were corroded so bad, I had to pry the old batteries out. Anyway, the metal piece came off the cove, but… the battery cover broke in half also. I have all the parts. I will be trying to JB weld the cover and metal piece. (Eventually, I’d like to replace the cover, but they are ~$50…)

Bummer…. My mom had these and hasn’t touched them for~20 years…( With the batteries still in there.). They were corroded so bad, I had to pry the old batteries out. Anyway, the metal piece came off the cove, but… the battery cover broke in half also. I have all the parts. I will be trying to JB weld the cover and metal piece. (Eventually, I’d like to replace the cover, but they are ~$50…)
Can you tell how to re-install the door? If you can get the door re-attached could you let me know how you did it. I am missing a part of the latch mechanism so I will have to buy a new door. Just not sure how easy it is to replace.

Thanks

Can you tell how to re-install the door? If you can get the door re-attached could you let me know how you did it. I am missing a part of the latch mechanism so I will have to buy a new door. Just not sure how easy it is to replace.

Thanks
The plastic cover that holds the latch and metal plate broke in half. Fortunately, the cover hinge is still attached, so I can do my gluing without messing with the hinge. If I figure out how to remove the hinge, I will let you know.

I just received a quote of $149 to replace the door. (See below)

Hello Dan

The estimated repair cost is $149.00
The battery door needs to be replaced.(OEM PARTS)

Our estimate includes parts, labor and general service cleaning (inside and body) as well as re-calibrating and re-aligning it to factory settings and free return shipping on repairs in the United States
We use brand new, original parts.
Our repair comes with 90 days of warranty on parts and labor.
As soon as we receive the unit our technician will confirm the repair cost and send you an email confirmation,If the technician diagnoses the unit with different issues we will contact you and let you know before we start the repair.

If you decide to send the unit for repair please visit our web site https://www.videocamrepair.com/work-order-form/ and fill out the work order form. Make sure to SUBMIT the form and print two copies of it, keep one of them and include the second copy inside the shipping box.

I just received a quote of $149 to replace the door. (See below)

Hello Dan

The estimated repair cost is $149.00
The battery door needs to be replaced.(OEM PARTS)

Our estimate includes parts, labor and general service cleaning (inside and body) as well as re-calibrating and re-aligning it to factory settings and free return shipping on repairs in the United States
We use brand new, original parts.
Our repair comes with 90 days of warranty on parts and labor.
As soon as we receive the unit our technician will confirm the repair cost and send you an email confirmation,If the technician diagnoses the unit with different issues we will contact you and let you know before we start the repair.

If you decide to send the unit for repair please visit our web site https://www.videocamrepair.com/work-order-form/ and fill out the work order form. Make sure to SUBMIT the form and print two copies of it, keep one of them and include the second copy inside the shipping box.
A bargain by Canon standards.
When my well used Canon 10x42 failed after 10 years, Canon charged $500 (fortunately applicable to the repair fee), just to examine the item and provide a repair estimate.
Canon's is a camera centric business, so outside of their pro lens service, which is excellent, they focus on replacement rather than on repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back