• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown sunbird at Fraser's Hill, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

pietern2

I have seen this sunbird at Fraser's Hill in Malaysia. I have noticed the orange on the bill and the light patches above and below the eye. There is no such sunbird in my guide however. Does anyone know which sunbird this is?

Attachments

• DSC_1910.jpg
    DSC_1910.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_1907.jpg
    DSC_1907.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_1908.jpg
    DSC_1908.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
How certain are you? Why do you think this is a female Black-throated Sunbird? Neaither my bird guide, nor pictures on the internet show the orange on the bill or the light patches above and below the eye.

What triggers the identification?

1. It looks like one
2. It doesn't look like any other Sunbird that occurs on Fraser's Hill.

Don't try to match everything to Robson illustrations - many subspecies and almost no juveniles are covered.

What triggers the identification?

Grey head and upper breast, dull underparts etc. Here is a very similar bird from the Cameron Highlands. The pale lids seems to be a variable feature and are not mentioned in literature. The orange soft parts which darken with age are a feature of most/all juvenile sunbirds. As Viator comments its a pretty typical Black-throated.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=42929&Bird_ID=2127&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

Grahame

Incidentally, Black-throated is the only sunbird found at the hill station, so there's no confusion species, although Ruby-cheek occurs lower down.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back