• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brinley Best, "Binoculars and People" (1 Viewer)

stabor

This posting might be appropriate for the Books forum, but putting it here seems more efficient. Ebay currently has listings for a new book called Binoculars and People by Brin[ley] Best. The publisher is Biosphere [U.K.], but they're a little elusive, and the author has apparently been left to flog his own title wherever he can. It looks to be a non-technical, social history with lots of photos, potentially very interesting. Has anyone seen it?

I got "Binoculars and People" for Christmas. It's the first (only?) book I have seen which covers most aspects of binocular using/collecting. Anyone who enjoys owning binoculars and especially those who, shall we say, have become a little bit obsessional about them, will like this book. It has chapters on history, military, astronomy, nature, leisure, how to choose/use/repair, & collecting, interspersed with 'my binocular story' anecdotes as well as accounts of 'landmark binoculars' (e.g. Zeiss Nobilem, Swift Audubon, Pentax Papilio).
To be honest, I'd not heard of the author, Brin(ley) Best, before I bought his book, but I did see some familiar names mentioned in it, like Renze de Vries, Ed Huff, and Eric Wood, so I thought "well that's all right, then". I've not had such fun reading a non-fiction book since Ivor Matanle's two "Classic Cameras" volumes. I'm going to read Brin's book cover to cover, and I can't think of a better recommendation than that...

An update on "Binoculars and People". I've read about 80% of it so far and I'm half way through the 'collecting' chapter. I can't help but notice some typographical errors in the text (it's in my nature) but the content seems well researched. It's not meant to be a definitive account of binoculars in an encyclopedic sense, more a social history (as the title implies) which is both informative and entertaining. I'm enjoying it, and would class it as "a jolly good read". I haven't read much else since Christmas!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back