• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting New Conquest Models (1 Viewer)

tlb

I have been in the hunt for a pair of 8x32 roofs and recently requested literature from Zeiss on their 8x32 FLs (OK, I'll admit it...I still like getting paper brochures).

The literature arrived today and along with it came a brochure for two new Conquest models - an 8x40 and a 10x40.

More interesting than the fact that Zeiss chose to add models with 40mm objectives to a line already comprising 30 and 45mm models, is that these new models utilize Abbe-Koenig prism systems versus the Schmidt-Pechans of the other Conquest models.

The new models appear to be priced at a premium when compared to the existing Conquest models. This leads me to wonder if Zeiss is attempting to move the Conquests upscale in specification and price in order to capitalize on the relative dearth of options in the just-under USD$1,000 range.

I'm not sure I would be in the market for either of these models, nonetheless, I will be quite interested to see how well they perform.

Best regards,

Tony

tlb said:
I have been in the hunt for a pair of 8x32 roofs and recently requested literature from Zeiss on their 8x32 FLs (OK, I'll admit it...I still like getting paper brochures).

The literature arrived today and along with it came a brochure for two new Conquest models - an 8x40 and a 10x40.

More interesting than the fact that Zeiss chose to add models with 40mm objectives to a line already comprising 30 and 45mm models, is that these new models utilize Abbe-Koenig prism systems versus the Schmidt-Pechans of the other Conquest models.

The new models appear to be priced at a premium when compared to the existing Conquest models. This leads me to wonder if Zeiss is attempting to move the Conquests upscale in specification and price in order to capitalize on the relative dearth of options in the just-under USD$1,000 range.

I'm not sure I would be in the market for either of these models, nonetheless, I will be quite interested to see how well they perform.

Best regards,

Tony

The specs are interesting. I initially thought these glasses might prove to be reworked first generation Victories, but the respective fields of view are noticeably narrower. Not much appeal for me either, I'm afraid.

Tom

Full Sized Conquest

One thing I noticed on the Zeiss blurbs (statements), is that the new full-size Conquests have T* coatings on the air to glass surfaces. The manufacturers statements usually need to be interpeted with with what is not stated or verbalized too. I doubt that the full sized Conquests are as optically good as the Victory II's. Just my two cents. :frog:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back