• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

File Size (1 Viewer)

Deerbird

Hi, Sometimes I have problems uploading a photo to Birdform. Most of the time my photos go up OK, then sometimes I get a message that says to large. I use Elements 8. I use 5x7 or 7x5 size at 300 resolution when I crop. Then I use quality 3 low or 4 to save it in. Baseline optimized. Thanks for any help you can gave me, Ella - Deerbird

Hi, Sometimes I have problems uploading a photo to Birdform. Most of the time my photos go up OK, then sometimes I get a message that says to large. I use Elements 8. I use 5x7 or 7x5 size at 300 resolution when I crop. Then I use quality 3 low or 4 to save it in. Baseline optimized. Thanks for any help you can gave me, Ella - Deerbird
Hi Ella, You need to reduce the pixel size of your images to around 800-900 pixels on the longest side before saving at a jpeg quality which gives an file size of around 150-200 kb. The 300 dpi (not resolution) which you quote has not bearing whatsoever on the file size or image quality, it is just used at print time to determine the size of a print.

If you have 300 pixels per inch and have chosen 7 inches on the long side, that would correspond to 2100 pixels total. That is more than the 8-900 pixels recommended for the long side as mentioned by Roy. Therefore, either find where you can read the number of pixels directly, or use half the size in inches on the long side.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back