• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto or Giottos (1 Viewer)

idbnarra

I am currently looking at buying a new tripod for bird photography. I don't need anything to extravagant as the lenses I currently use are a Nikon 300mm F4 usually with a 1.4 TC or a Sigma 170-500mm. I quite often use the 300mm F4 handheld but it would be usefully to be able to use it on a tripod for more static birds or when the light is low.
I am currently thinking of ether the Manfrotto 055XPROB or the Giottos MTL9361B. Has anyone been able to compare these two tripods or have any views on which they think is better and why? On paper the Giottos seems to be taller and take more weight and is currently cheaper.
I am also thinking of starting out with a ball head and was looking at the Manfrotto 488RC2 (or is 498rc2 replacment) does anyone know what the Giottos alternative to this is and how they compare?

I dont think you go far wrong if you get the giotto, they are very good tripods I use the ML8251B with manfrotto 701 head. You pay more for the name manfrotto so for me it would be a no brainer and some money left towards the head you want.

Feisol is well worth a look, I replaced my Manfrotto 055 ProbB with a Feisol tournament grade carbon fibre tripod and it is tons better (and lighter). Mind you the Feisol I got was more expensive but they do a cheaper range as well. BTW I believe Gitzo are made by Manfrotto although I could be wrong.

Thanks for your views.
I have made the decision to go for the Giottos MTL9361B as its has some great reviews and look very sturdy. I also think I am going to go for the Giottos MH-1300 head. I have seen a video of some using a ball head in portrait position as a kind of gimbal head. Has anyone tried using their ball head in this way?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back