• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what to let go... (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I need to free up some cash (I've been spending on lenses again) so will probably have to sell a pair of bins. The three currently seeing the least use are my 8x20 Ultravids (near mint condition), my Leitz 8x40 Trinovids (well used but still great optics) or my recently acquired Nikon 9x30 roofs (I know very little about these). So what do others think, which would you part with, and which will give me the best return?

Attachments

• leitz8x40a.jpg
    leitz8x40a.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 100
  • nikon9x30a.jpg
    nikon9x30a.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 90
It´s not an easy choice, is it? Binoculars are not the most liquid of assets, and each one has its own charms in any case. I know a guy who might be interested in the Leica compacts, although I´d imagine you´d have no problem shifting them in the UK. Let me know if they´re the ones you want to sell.

I need to free up some cash (I've been spending on lenses again) so will probably have to sell a pair of bins. The three currently seeing the least use are my 8x20 Ultravids (near mint condition), my Leitz 8x40 Trinovids (well used but still great optics) or my recently acquired Nikon 9x30 roofs (I know very little about these). So what do others think, which would you part with, and which will give me the best return?

I presume the Leitz is a pre phase-coating model. It is certainly a version prior to the recent Trinovids, though it has the same name. Thus, it will probably sell well because of the name, but your loss in terms of performance is not that great (judging from my 10x40 of the same generation). The Ultravids are among the best models you can buy, thus I would certainly keep them even if you don't use them that much now. They have gone up in price considerably, thus would be costly to replace later. Can't comment on the Nikons.

Last edited:
I was already swaying towards selling the Leitz, and now you've convinced me. Does anyone know what sort of price they sell for?

That's easy the Nikon's should go. The Leica (because they are German) will appreciate in value (because of the Euro going up in value and the dollar down). The Nikon's will probably depreciate. Most of the time you will be sorry you sold a Leica. Please do not sell the 8x20 Ultravids because they well cost you much more in a year or two to replace.

Dennis

The Leica (because they are German) will appreciate in value (because of the Euro going up in value and the dollar down).

Dennis: the USD versus Euro trend is in the opposite direction i.e. the $ is strengthening against the Euro and has been since July of this year

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=1&from=USD&to=EUR&submit=Convert

This should mean that the Euro 3 should be cheaper ... but don't hold your breath ;)

We're actually almost back to were it was 5 years ago

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=USD&to=EUR&amt=1&t=5y

That's easy the Nikon's should go. The Leica (because they are German) will appreciate in value (because of the Euro going up in value and the dollar down). The Nikon's will probably depreciate. Most of the time you will be sorry you sold a Leica. Please do not sell the 8x20 Ultravids because they well cost you much more in a year or two to replace.

Dennis

Yes,
I'd keep the older Leitz (Leica) 8 x 40. I still have my old Leitz 7 x 42 Trinovid although I have replaced it with an upgraded Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid. The Leitz lacks phase coating and is not as good as the newer model but it is an excellent "user/collectible." The Leitz Trinovids, in addition to being one of the handsomest binoculars designed, are probably the last, and best, example of the Uppendahl roof prism binocular.
Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back