• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is buying and collecting binoculars so addictive. (1 Viewer)

Paultricounty

United States
What is it with binoculars that make so many people want to buy sell and collect more than other optics? I don’t see the same verve for collecting spotting scopes, camera lenses, telescopes and even astronomy eyepieces ,which for many is also very popular and addictive.

I myself and others I know have/had multiple scopes, dozens of eyepieces and a few spotters, but when it comes to binoculars there are people here on BF alone, that have 50 to over 100 + binoculars and still going strong. And I’m not talking about the people who buy something , use it a few months , buy something else and sell the former, that to if done consistently is more just trying out the flavor of the month.

Thank you.

Paul

I’m not talking about the people who buy something , use it a few months , buy something else and sell the former, that to if done consistently is more just trying out the flavor of the month
I hope you didn't specifically mention Dennis by this 😉

Of course, it is really addictive and costs a lot. That's why my girlfriend always tells me to focus more on birding with the binoculars I have rather than planning to buy more 😀 However, it would take me one more decade to reach 50+ point as I started collecting binoculars three years back.

telescopes and even astronomy eyepieces ,
Hello Paul,

with telescopes, of course, it also has to do with the size, you need a lot of space to collect 50 telescopes or more.

When it comes to astro eyepieces, however, there are people who own more than 100, and eyepieces in particular always tempt people to buy new ones.

I myself have more eyepieces than binoculars.

Andreas

I don't get it at all, I'm a birder and need one pair, just one. Most birders aspire to having the best optics they can afford but I don't know anyone, who has more than maybe two pairs.

I have my Swarovski EL's, my everyday 'bins' but I still have my old Leica's which are still superb, optically, purely a spare pair in case as recently, my frontline 'bins' are out of action. I am a collector, don't get me wrong, books mainly but I just don't get it with 'bins' at all.

Are you guys actually birders, what do you use you optics for?

Wow!

The one, criticism I would have, is that some of this stuff must lay around, unused for years and you can't even make it look nice in a display, just looks like a shop, stock room!

I've got well over a thousand books but at least they display well and I do, use, all of them regularly.

Attachments

• 1690727605033.jpg
    1690727605033.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 1690727605072.jpg
    1690727605072.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 1690727605048.jpg
    1690727605048.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 1690727605060.jpg
    1690727605060.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 51
View attachment 1523386
Those 6 cameras laying on the ground will get you at least 30 or more pairs of "ALPHA" Bin's. So it is all relative and this type of things are quite affordable by most compared to Super Cars, Yachts, Airplanes etc,etc,etc.. All that counts is if it makes you happy and mine does...
So £90K?

Isn't it the case though, that just like cars, these cameras 'tech' will go out of date, reducing their value?

It's a First World 'problem' ... ??!

;-)

(I am not a collector of bins or anything expensive or technical, but I do have a (presumably relatively valueless) coin collection, books, wildlife stuff and other random bits ... )

Imagine binoculars fit the collecting bill due to size (as mentioned), ergonomics (they are a pleasing chunk of 'stuff'?*), have a relatively neat and followable history and lots of availability, both new and old ... along with a technical and engineering back story? (For starters ... )

*(I have a sweet tin of the old English thrupenny bits, before my time, but they are so pleasingingly chunky cool bits of 'stuff', compared to some other things)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back