• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is buying and collecting binoculars so addictive. (1 Viewer)

I recently noticed a very easy cure for the addiction -- running out of storage space. So I basically stopped buying. Also, to "improve" the views through the instruments at this point started to feel like wasted time and money (as if it hadn't been exactly that from the start) after buying enough good mid-range instruments like the Fuji HC. Do I wanna "make a step up" and get one of the "holy three"? Probably not. Do I wanna start selling stuff that's not worth selling basically (like a ton of old porros)? Nope. So I'll just keep the stuff until we move in a smaller apartment, with my son only having 2.5 years left in school and my stepdaughter already having moved out years ago (she's 10 yrs older than my son) is bound to happen one day. Until then I enjoy using the different binos on walks to watch nature, the sky, birds, any animal basically that I can see through them. Or just looking at ships going by from inside the living room. Probably even the main use.
There might be a few "grails" still left for a collector, like a Zeiss Oberkochen or a Zeiss Jena EDF 7x40 -- but do I "need" those for the collection, which is really more of a hoard, to be "complete"? No.
So at the moment -- never say never -- no new binos for me.
Maybe I need to change my user name now. Into "Bino-user"?
I'm never really certain what "triggers" the "collector virus" btw. I played electric guitar for years and never had more than one. Later on I got an acoustic guitar as a gift, so I now have two. I did collect and play other instruments though. So I think it's perfectly fine to own 50 tin whistles but I never understood why one would need more than one guitar. Of course -- 50 tin whistles cost mabye the same as one good guitar :D.

Philipp,

If you move you can't take the view you have with you, so nice to have that from your desk. Hopefully you can stay.
Regarding collecting, often it is the the thrill of the hunt.

It probably has to do with the stylistic eras; a guitar that is well suited for baroque music may be suboptimal for more modern compositions.
Guitarists with a wide repertoire typically have multiple guitars.

Andreas
True. I hadn't even considered that. I was thinking more about one guy I knew, probably one of the greatest players I knew personally when I was still playing, and he had basically a wall full of electric guitars but was largely only playing jazz and blues.
I see the reason for getting "historically accurate" instruments for playing certain types of music.

Finding your best setup is always an ongoing process and an entirely subjective choice. I see many good ideas that don't necessicarily translate for my situation, but I see the merits in that person's solution, and it definitely represents an optimum arrangement for him. I initially dismissed a bino harness as being uncomfortable and restrictive, but I now use one frequently. My initial prejudice was reinforced when the first one that I tried was simply a poor quality design, so it is worth doing an extensive evaluation before dismissing any possible option in gear choices. Another friend uses a safari jacket with four huge pockets that easily hold a scope on one side and his binos on the other. He sometimes carries a fairly large bridge camera in one of the other pockets and he seems quite comfortable with this load over fairly long walks that include several steep climbs. For general use binos, I think that your 4mm pupil target is still valid, and I would certainly consider a good 8x30 if my 8x42 wasn't as lightweight as it is. I find the size difference between 30 and 42 to be inconsequential, but I have friends with 30 or 32 binos that would never consider a 42. My main bino requirement is for astronomy, so the 8x30 would be an additional purchase that I would only use in the daytime. At the other extreme of perspective, many astro users easily justify owning one each of 7x50, 8x56, 9x63, 10x70, and 11 or 12x80 binos. Not for me, but good luck in trying to persuade them that this "basic 5" set isn't just a tad excessive.
Context is almost everything in these conversations/choices.

Philipp,

If you move you can't take the view you have with you, so nice to have that from your desk. Hopefully you can stay.
Regarding collecting, often it is the the thrill of the hunt.
Yes, the view is fantastic here! And we have no plans on moving as long as we can afford the rent and aren't getting too old for working in the garden. Too bad we couldn't afford buying it (also the owners don't want to sell it). The neighbours sold their house for 600,000€ and they have a smaller garden. Prices here are insane. So wife and I are pushing 50 and could never pay back a mortgage during our lifetime.

True. I hadn't even considered that. I was thinking more about one guy I knew, probably one of the greatest players I knew personally when I was still playing, and he had basically a wall full of electric guitars but was largely only playing jazz and blues.
I see the reason for getting "historically acurate" instruments for playing certain types of music.
Of course, a passion for collecting guitars can also arise.

I myself have several very high-quality classical guitars, although I primarily play Baroque (Bach), but it is very difficult to part with some instruments. I regularly try to part with them, but have failed every time. Now I have decided to give the guitars to my son leave behind, the pain of separation is probably less for him.

Andreas

I primarily play Baroque (Bach)
Nice! I play a little Bach sometimes on the flute. But I am not much of a player. Mainly playing Irish Traditional Music on a 6-hole flute. But I built my own flutes and made them in such a way that they can be played fully chromatic by a combination of half-holing and cross-fingerings actually taken from baroque flute. I also might get a modern reproduction one day. Like an affordable Aulos AF-1 baroque flute or another reproduction in resin. But it's getting a bit off-topic now.

It probably has to do with the stylistic eras; a guitar that is well suited for baroque music may be suboptimal for more modern compositions.
Guitarists with a wide repertoire typically have multiple guitars.

Andreas
One of my brothers has 25 guitars . Includes 12 and 6 string acoustics, basses , electrics and a midi . They all have different flavours , like binoculars .

I don't tell my friends the number of binoculars I own. They might try to stage an intervention. Can't have that interrupt my addict...I mean hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back