• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a good nestbox? (1 Viewer)

NicholasDeMaio

Hi, nestbox experts. My wife bought this at a garage sale. Is it a good nestbox in terms of functionality? Should I put it out? If so, what kind of birds will it attract? Also, should I hang it using the chain or fix it to a tree? Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMAG1319 (resized).jpg
    IMAG1319 (resized).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 115
Hi,
It's hard to tell dimensions from the picture, but you can look in this chart (http://www.sialis.org/nestboxguide.htm) and get some feel for what might be attracted to your next box. In general, though, while birds might be attracted to it, the platform in front of the hole is not a great idea. The birds don't need it, and it gives some predators an advantage. If you do put it out, I'd pole mount it and protect it with a good baffle on the pole. That won't help against flying predators, but it should help for others.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back