• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebirds at my nest box! (1 Viewer)

prairiemerlin

registered guy
Several weeks ago a male Eastern Bluebird started defending a nest box in my front yard. For the first time, I saw a female at the box! Yes! Making that box was really worth it! I got some excellent views of the Bluebirds through my scope. :D

Brown Creeper said:
Several weeks ago a male Eastern Bluebird started defending a nest box in my front yard. For the first time, I saw a female at the box! Yes! Making that box was really worth it! I got some excellent views of the Bluebirds through my scope. :D

I Love eastern bluebirds. We have two sets of nesting pairs each year, one in the early spring in the front yard, and then again in the late spring in the back yard. I was very upset when last week two of the eggs were destroyed, probably from a house sparrow. But there are now more eggs in the nest and the parents are defending it very well.

KdonnRN1 said:
I I was very upset when last week two of the eggs were destroyed, probably from a house sparrow. But there are now more eggs in the nest and the parents are defending it very well.

Yesterday, a pair started nesting in a box, attached to our back yard deck, 12 feet from the back of our house! My husband hung it there, several years ago, and I never got around to moving it -- I never thought we'd get anything in it! And there those beautiful birds are! She's nesting away, and he is overseeing all her activity.

We do have a feeders near by that are frequented by house finches and house sparrows. Should I do anything? Move the feeders?

Kim

Hi Kim, I'm no expert but I would suggest that the feeders are moved further away as all the activity (for most birds at least) could deter them from continuing.
Someone with more knowledge will inform you further on this I'm sure.

Ive relocated to Nashville, TN for 2 days and watched a family of bluebirds in my daughter's back yard. The sun was out and they were spectacluar in color! There was quite a lot of noise from the babies - seemed like the parents were "weaning" - they'd fly away from the baby as it landed nearby yelling for food!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back