• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Miserable Birders??? (1 Viewer)

I have always thought of Birding and its Followers as a little bit odd,or at least some of the behaviour by some in this hobby,towards others.I first noticed it as a teenager when I walked into a bird hide,asked the chap who was sitting in there if he had seen anything,who replied "you've got binoculars,look for yourself".I wasn't actually asking him to tell me where anything was,simply merely being polite and friendly but that one experience actually wasted 10 years or so of my birding life as I was too annoyed/scared/pissed off to bother with hides/reserves after that,and apart from birding in my local park every now and then or looking out the garden,that was pretty much it for the next Ten years.
I started again in my mid Twenties,some 12/13 years back now but pretty low key,just visiting my local areas for a couple of years,getting myself familiar with the not so common birds etc,it was all going well until I got more involved in the hobby,ie reporting sightings,becoming a member of Local yahoo groups etc and I started noticing some poxy birdwatching hierarchy,where people who obviously know more than others actually look down at those who probably don't have the time to go out 24/7 or the experience they have,some like myself probably don't have the attention span or the intelligence that others seem to possess.I am not saying that every experienced birder is like this but it does seem to be the experienced birder who likes nothing more than to put someone down or put their point across so bluntly that you just know that they are the superior one.
Just recently a few things have happened which has once again questioned my involvement in this hobby,I haven't been out really for the last 3 weeks or so since this happened but while this has obviously annoyed me I guess the weather hasn't helped and I hope that the minute it picks up I will get my mojo back.But there's no doubt the actions/words of a few people recently have once again had an effect on me,which is quite odd as usually nothing bothers me and goes straight over my head.Basically I am fed up with the rudeness of some individuals,its not always towards me,in fact its usually towards other people who probably can't stick up for themselves so much,or simply don't want to,although I have had two instances of birders biting off my head recently,when I really didn't think it was necessary.It just rankles with me the way people treat other people.Dont get me wrong,most people I meet on my travels are genuine,cracking people,but some just get on my boobies with their attitude,I just guess I need to not worry so much about it,although I suspect the next bit of anti social birding behaviour I encounter may drive me over the edge and see me bite,which I really dont want to do,but I am obviously annoyed by this!!!!
Beware!!!
OHHHH how i wish i was present on this site around the time you posted this! I've had my fair share and more with this issue, i've been bird watching and enthusiastic about them since maybe 14 i'm 31 now, it was only recently i came across live bird cams on youtube and the hierarchy, snobbery and rudeness really is gross. In my experience first and foremost they're not mad on new comers, secondly if you are informed on the subject they really don't like you asking any academic questions in order to simply learn! It's like it bugs them that you don't simply sit and say "awwwww look at the pretty birdy" all day long! Like you said i have come across plenty of wonderful people in this live cam chats and whilst out bird watching but i'm not ashamed to admit i have been reduced to tears by some of the behaviour, i don't know if you'll ever read this as it was posted a fair while ago but i do hope your birding experience has been better since! I think a major part of this is some people feel like a specific spot or bird is almost theirs as if because they feel they've been watching longer that they somehow have more entitlement to NATURE of all things. I get ignored A LOT and reprimanded for the most basic things in live cam bird chats, and you soon become aware of the set of people who can say what they please- i'm well aware chats have rules the moderators enforce, it makes sense and i agree with them but the certain individuals and moderators discriminate. I was told the other day after saying when the bald eaglet looked dead into the camera that my comment will now be deleted because it will lead to confusion for people LOL!

I've met every conceivable personality type in my many years of birding, but I seem to have clashed more with birders in recent years. I don't think I've become a worse person myself, so I'm really not sure what's going on.

I can honestly say I've never had this problem with Aussie birders, with the notable exception of a Dutch immigrant birder who runs tours. Nasty piece of work... But I've clashed with American and British birders quite badly in Aus, Thailand, Japan and Peru just prior to Covid. It's a pity, because after each incident, I retreat more into solitary birding and actively avoid anyone in the distance I see with bins.

I can honestly say I've never had this problem with Aussie birders, with the notable exception of a Dutch immigrant birder who runs tours. Nasty piece of work... But I've clashed with American and British birders quite badly in Aus, Thailand, Japan and Peru just prior to Covid. It's a pity, because after each incident, I retreat more into solitary birding and actively avoid anyone in the distance I see with bins.
What was the problem with those individuals (if you don't mind me asking), was it their attitude towards other birders, local people, wildlife, or something else?

Personally I very rarely get annoyed with other people whilst out birding , except on the odd occasion that people are stressing birds out by getting too close/ flushing birds unnecessarily. People can be very impatient though. My pet hate is a bunch of people trying to see a bird and half of them not even bothering to look whilst usually chatting very loudly, On the other hand I went to see the W.T. Lapwing on the first morning it was found and the whole event was fantastic. People were totally selfless in giving other people a chance to see the bird. There were a lot of big lenses there but all the photographers did the decent thing. There was a very young boy there that made me laugh by asking his parents "wheres the plumber"? Personally I love seeing kids about and feel that people need to be more encouraging showing them birds, sharing scopes etc

I've met every conceivable personality type in my many years of birding, but I seem to have clashed more with birders in recent years. I don't think I've become a worse person myself, so I'm really not sure what's going on.

We still have good memories of you when we met up in Cairns a few years back!
MJB

Personally I very rarely get annoyed with other people whilst out birding , except on the odd occasion that people are stressing birds out by getting too close/ flushing birds unnecessarily. People can be very impatient though. My pet hate is a bunch of people trying to see a bird and half of them not even bothering to look whilst usually chatting very loudly, On the other hand I went to see the W.T. Lapwing on the first morning it was found and the whole event was fantastic. People were totally selfless in giving other people a chance to see the bird. There were a lot of big lenses there but all the photographers did the decent thing. There was a very young boy there that made me laugh by asking his parents "wheres the plumber"? Personally I love seeing kids about and feel that people need to be more encouraging showing them birds, sharing scopes etc
While being totally up for necessary flushing....?

John

It's about the birds, not the people. If I enter a hide or meet another obvious birdwatcher, I greet and ask an inoccuous question such as "seen anything good?" Most people are friendly and helpful, but if I get snubbed I set my stuff up and leave after about 10 min, talking into my phone about having just seen a [enter name of very rare for the locality but plausible bird].

It helps! :)

Last edited:
I don't think any of my real world interactions with birders have been negative, at least in the last few years. Online, oh yes...

What was the problem with those individuals (if you don't mind me asking), was it their attitude towards other birders, local people, wildlife, or something else?
Just unnecessary anger directed at me for existing. It was particularly galling in Japan as I'd helped this particular birder on this tour on several occasions to get onto a bird. I also helped him and his wife negotiate the Tokyo train system as I know some Japanese and had a reasonable grasp of how the horrendously complex rail network operates there. The ingratitude was uncalled for.

It's a minority IMHO, but some birders are just unreasonably aggressive. If I had to put my finger on triggers: lack of sleep on tours didn't help; missing a bird and taking it out on others would be another. Neither reason is an excuse however: I can be absolutely dead on my feet and miss the best bird of the trip and yet not be angry. I don't understand this reaction in others.

Perhaps it is a 'I'm on a tour, so I'm entitled' syndrome.
That said, most birders I've encountered have been very civil. If someone is having a bad day, I take my leave, life is too short...

As I see it, I can walk away from conflict every time unless it is an actual tour. I had to endure six weeks in Peru with a truly horrible birder, as it was a tour. I nearly quit the tour twice because of him.

I do think some highly competitive birders feel that when they miss a bird, they have a right to behave like a petulant child. No one ever has that right, and it is no one's fault but that person's if that is their only way of expressing their disappointment.

I will emphasise that the majority of birders I have encountered over the years have been fine, and many can be delightful company; maybe I've just been unlucky of late.

As I see it, I can walk away from conflict every time unless it is an actual tour. I had to endure six weeks in Peru with a truly horrible birder, as it was a tour. I nearly quit the tour twice because of him.

I do think some highly competitive birders feel that when they miss a bird, they have a right to behave like a petulant child. No one ever has that right, and it is no one's fault but that person's if that is their only way of expressing their disappointment.

I will emphasise that the majority of birders I have encountered over the years have been fine, and many can be delightful company; maybe I've just been unlucky of late.
There was one bloke I met on a tour who was totally obnoxious (yes, worse than me) and me being me, I quickly told him so in front of the entire group as we dined. My dislike of this man was so intense that I literally, very nearly hit him a couple of times on the trip, at least once for insulting my wifes religous beliefs. One member of the forum can attest to this this happening but the offender is deceased now so I won't mention names.

The funny thing is, I did a trip a couple of years later and mentioned this event, my companion on that trip said 'his name wasn't ***** was it?', and he had clashed with the very same person on another trip!

"Competitive birding" :D
It took me a few years to figure out that is actually a thing! I always thought birders were just nature lovers. But I'm a solitary birder and I don't go on tours so that helps.

My bird list is larger than my ability primarily due to a twitching blitz in the late ‘90s, but I make it my daily goal to learn from others. I’m sufficiently old to not care about going exposing my weaknesses and I have to say around my new retirement patch in East Lothian, I find the local birders in the field completely tolerant, helpful and sharing. Yes, there is always the odd moment, but we all have off days.

When I lived in the Home Counties I was conscious of a colder, less accommodating type of birder. But I would say that that was not the norm.

I have only been on one foreign trip, Ecuador in 2005. It was one of the best experiences in my birding life (Nothing will beat the taking of the log on a Scillies evening in the 1990s). All my fellow birders were fantastic, but I can imagine how one bad apple could easily have ruined it.

Last edited:
My bird list is larger than my ability primarily due to a twitching blitz in the late ‘90s, but I make it my daily goal to learn from others. I’m sufficiently old to not care about going exposing my weaknesses and I have to say around my new retirement patch in East Lothian, I find the local birders in the field completely tolerant, helpful and sharing. Yes, there is always the odd moment, but we all have off days.

When I lived in the Home Counties I was conscious of a colder, less accommodating type of birder. But I would say that that was not the norm.

I have only been on one foreign trip, Ecuador in 2005. It was one of the best experiences in my birding life (Nothing will beat the taking of the log on a Scillies evening in the 1990s). All my fellow birders were fantastic, but I can imagine how one bad apple could easily have ruined it.
This has been my experience, Southerners are very insular, I lived in central London when I was younger and found it most unfriendly.

This has been my experience, Southerners are very insular, I lived in central London when I was younger and found it most unfriendly.
No, mate , it's just you.... (JOKE)

Everybody's different, and most individuals are different on different days. Most are OK. The few that aren't you can usually work round.

Cities are a bit rubbish everywhere.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back