• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petrola area may 2014 (1 Viewer)

Ddack

Hi there,ill be around the petrola area on may24th and i am just wondering if i am still able to see gt bustard,little bustard and both sandgrouse.If i am has anyone got any reliable sites or is it a case of driving around and scanning! Lastly have i got a chance of lesser kestrel?
Cheers in advance
Dave

Hi there,ill be around the petrola area on may24th and i am just wondering if i am still able to see gt bustard,little bustard and both sandgrouse.If i am has anyone got any reliable sites or is it a case of driving around and scanning! Lastly have i got a chance of lesser kestrel?
Cheers in advance
Dave

Hi Dave, I am told that all these species plus Cream-coloured Courser are still present. I didn't manage the Coursers or the Lesser Kestrel but I did get the rest and rock sparrow. The best bet is to go to the east of the motorway towards Higeruela although that was a few years ago. I also saw plenty of stuff en route to petrola. The whole area is amazing.

Amazing thanks! I didnt even consider courser,is there any specific area for the courser,i understand it may be secret but even a area to look in as this would be beyond my wildest dreams.Do you get a good assortment of larks aswell? I have searched for trip reports from may to answer this but i only seem to find winter reports.
Thans again
Dave

Hi Dave and James

I was guiding last week in Pétrola and I managed to see quite a few Great Bustard, a solitary Little Bustard, a Stone Curlew, Black-bellied Sandgrouses and as you mention a good assortment of larks (Calandra, Lesser and short-toed, Thekla, etc). The lagoons are full of waders, Whiskered Terns and some White-headed Ducks can also be observed. Lesser Kestrels are also around.

There is another lagoon named Aljibarro which is close to Albacete city (35 minutes driving from Petrola). Last Thursday, in this lagoon was recorded Lesser Flamingo along with Black Stork and White-winged Black Tern.

Regarding Cream-coloured Courser, in 2012 two pairs bred in the area but since then, as far as I know, nobody from the Albacete Ornithological Society or any other Spanish Ornithological scheme have found them again. Last year, the area was prospected in detail, but nothing. So, James if you have news about Cream-coloured Courser sighting in the area, please could you send it to me or the Albacete Ornithological Society (http://www.sao.albacete.org/joom/)? We would be delighted to know more about it.

Regards

Pau Lucio

Hi Dave and James

I was guiding last week in Pétrola and I managed to see quite a few Great Bustard, a solitary Little Bustard, a Stone Curlew, Black-bellied Sandgrouses and as you mention a good assortment of larks (Calandra, Lesser and short-toed, Thekla, etc). The lagoons are full of waders, Whiskered Terns and some White-headed Ducks can also be observed. Lesser Kestrels are also around.

There is another lagoon named Aljibarro which is close to Albacete city (35 minutes driving from Petrola). Last Thursday, in this lagoon was recorded Lesser Flamingo along with Black Stork and White-winged Black Tern.

Regarding Cream-coloured Courser, in 2012 two pairs bred in the area but since then, as far as I know, nobody from the Albacete Ornithological Society or any other Spanish Ornithological scheme have found them again. Last year, the area was prospected in detail, but nothing. So, James if you have news about Cream-coloured Courser sighting in the area, please could you send it to me or the Albacete Ornithological Society (http://www.sao.albacete.org/joom/)? We would be delighted to know more about it.

Regards

Pau Lucio

Hi Pau,

I know nothing recent as I was last in the area in Nov 2012 but the area is huge so wouldn't surprise me if they went undetected.

Regards

James

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back