• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you ID this moth please? (1 Viewer)

Reader

This moth dropped onto our hanging basket last night. I only had time to take two photos before it flew off. One photo wasn't any good and the other is too great either but I have attached it in the hope that someone will recognise it.

It was about one & a half inches long and at rest its wings were set in a "v" shape.

Attachments

• Mystery 2421.jpg
    Mystery 2421.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Hi Reader, it's not one I'm familiar with - I'm not even sure it's a moth. It could be a caddis.

Angus T said:
Thats what I think, and I believe the majority can't be ID from external features alone

Very true Angus,
The size of the Caddis would tend to indicate one of the species in the Phrygaenid genus. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Harry

Any more info on this one. I though that it looked like a moth when it flew but I must admit that I don't know what a Caddis would look like. Would a Caddis be about one & a half inches long?

Reader said:
Any more info on this one. I though that it looked like a moth when it flew but I must admit that I don't know what a Caddis would look like. Would a Caddis be about one & a half inches long?

A picture would have helped a lot Reader, in the abscence of something to look at I can only surmise what it is. Insects often look larger in flight than they really are, but a Caddis can reach 1" in body length and when it's wings are closed in the resting position they do cover the abdomen completely so 1.5" isn't impossible. When at rest Caddis always project their antennae straight forward. They are usually grey or brown and have hairy wings.

Harry

harry eales said:
A picture would have helped a lot Reader, in the abscence of something to look at I can only surmise what it is. Insects often look larger in flight than they really are, but a Caddis can reach 1" in body length and when it's wings are closed in the resting position they do cover the abdomen completely so 1.5" isn't impossible. When at rest Caddis always project their antennae straight forward. They are usually grey or brown and have hairy wings.

Harry

Hi Harry

You've thrown me a bit as there is a photo at the start of the thread, or do you mean a better photo than the one I have attached? If that is so then I have to say that I didn't have time to get another shot as it flew off as soon as I took that shot.

Reader said:
Hi Harry

You've thrown me a bit as there is a photo at the start of the thread, or do you mean a better photo than the one I have attached? If that is so then I have to say that I didn't have time to get another shot as it flew off as soon as I took that shot.

Hi Reader,
For some reason the pic didn't load the first time, it looks like a Caddis to me.
You can't identify them without a lot of trouble and preferably a dissected spm.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back