• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Butterflies - where are they all? (1 Viewer)

Judybird

BIrds, bugs and butterflies
We seem to be missing the beauties this year...I completed my new butterfly garden last fall and had many visitors right away. In addition to this dedicated 30 x 15 ft bed, I have butterfly plants throughout my landscape inclduing host plants.

In the fall, I had plenty of butterfly visitors of several varieties. After a severe frost in January, I have not noticed as many butterflies. Our weather is continually at or about 80 degrees and the plants are in great shape.

Do any of you think our lack of rain is contributing to the lack of butterflies? I think it may have rained two days in the last 2 months coupled with many windy days. A friend who lives in the same town has also noticed the absence of butterflies.

Today I saw the first Swallowtail in months and one half-inch Queen caterpillar but that was about it.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Judy

Update...

The butterflies are finally appearing more often. Today I had a Queen and Gulf Fritillary on the Royal Red Butterfly Bush at the same time.

I've noticed more Sulphers and Peacocks in nearby Sarasota too.

My milkweeds have had some caterpillars but none have made it butterfly - I think the birds and wasps are getting them.

Finally!

I've noticed the same thing and blamed it on the late heavy frost we had as before that, I had plenty of Sulphurs and Swallowtails. Water could be a big part of it as well or lack of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back