• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 EII (1 Viewer)

Dennis, on a personal level I don`t like to reduce iconic binoculars like the EII to just value, for me the EII is probably the most enjoyable view of any binocular I`v ever used.

In fact if the price points were reversed and the EII cost SV money I`d still want one and would save longer to achieve that goal. I like it that much.

For me even the much touted SF does`nt provide the sheer delight the EII delivers, its a masterpiece IMO.

Dennis, on a personal level I don`t like to reduce iconic binoculars like the EII to just value, for me the EII is probably the most enjoyable view of any binocular I`v ever used.

In fact if the price points were reversed and the EII cost SV money I`d still want one and would save longer to achieve that goal. I like it that much.

For me even the much touted SF doesnt provide the sheer delight the EII delivers, its a masterpiece IMO.
That is interesting that you like the EII better than the SF. Even with almost equal FOV's and the SF having the advantage of the sharper edges you still prefer the EII? What does the EII have that the SF doesn't? Is it the DOF or 3D view? Can you put your finger on it? It is amazing that a $400 binocular can still beat a $2500 binocular. My four favorite binoculars of any I have used are the Swarovski SV 8x32, Nikon EII 8x30, Nikon SE 8x32 and the Leica BN 8x32. I can't understand birders that wouldn't pay $200 difference to get an EII instead of say Frank's Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 but maybe they need waterproofness and the $200 is a big hurdle. The EII is a whole other world than the cheaper roofs. $400 is a BARGAIN for it. In reality how many times do you actually bird in the rain unless you are in the tropics. Around here in Colorado it is pretty dry most of the time.

Last edited:
"What does the EII have that the SF doesn't?"
"..the most enjoyable view"
A difference, probably not measureable in "points". ;)

The most objective tests we have around is Allbino's and the EII's scored 135 points. The alpha level binoculars are scoring close to 155 points. That is BIG difference!

Even the best flawed test is, well, a flawed test.

So much for Allbinos (and Kikkertspesialisten, which is even worse).

Hermann

Even the best flawed test is, well, a flawed test.

So much for Allbinos (and Kikkertspesialisten, which is even worse).

Hermann
If you cut through all the stuff on Bird Forum when it comes down to fact I think the four best birding binoculars around are the Swarovski SV 8x32, Nikon SE 8x32, Nikon EII 8x30 and the Leica 8x32 BN.

I wish the EII had 1 more mm of IPD. Allbinos measured its maximum IPD at 73.2mm. According to my eye doctor, mine is 73.8mm. Also its eye relief was measured at 13.8mm, which is on the low side when used with glasses, and not enough with certain types of glasses. Another mm here would be good too.

Oetzi, clearly you understand, I`m not suggesting the EII is "better" than the SF, clearly the EII is less "worldly" than the SF, but that view ! is sublime.

I wish the EII had 1 more mm of IPD. Allbinos measured its maximum IPD at 73.2mm. According to my eye doctor, mine is 73.8mm. .......

After reading your post, I went and measured the IPD of my Nikon 8X30 EII Black model. It is not that easy to get an exact measurement, but I kept coming up with approximate 75 mm. Also keep in mind there is a little fudge factor depending on pupil dilation.

There is one concern. As the barrels are spread apart to get a wider IPD, effectively the focus wheel lowers in relation to the binocular. This could result in the bottom of the focus wheel hitting the bridge of the users nose, depending on facial features.

I suspect the chances are good that the IPD is wide enough for your 73.8 mm measurement. However there may be a problem of it hitting the top of your nose. It is something you will have to try to know for sure.

............ but that view ! is sublime.

Absolutely. :t:

Last edited:
There is one concern. As the barrels are spread apart to get a wider IPD, effectively the focus wheel lowers in relation to the binocular. This could result in the bottom of the focus wheel hitting the bridge of the users nose, depending on facial features.

You could use them upside down ;)

I wish the EII had 1 more mm of IPD. Allbinos measured its maximum IPD at 73.2mm. According to my eye doctor, mine is 73.8mm.

Have you tried the EII?
Measurements of IPD are one thing, but in reality there is easily a give-and-take of 2mm between eyes and eyepieces, with you still getting a good view.
With all my binos, i never have them exactly at the measured 62mm IPD. I even dont remember, whether I was measured 62 or 64mm. Really.
Between 62 and 64mm I get a good view and with a Porro I have to close down with decreasing distance, anyway.

After reading your post, I went and measured the IPD of my Nikon 8X30 EII Black model. It is not that easy to get an exact measurement, but I kept coming up with approximate 75 mm. Also keep in mind there is a little fudge factor depending on pupil dilation.

I suspect the chances are good that the IPD is wide enough for your 73.8 mm measurement. However there may be a problem of it hitting the top of your nose. It is something you will have to try to know for sure.

Absolutely. :t:
Hello Bruce,

Clearly binocular manufacturers should provide information on nose relief, as well as eye relief.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

If you cut through all the stuff on Bird Forum when it comes down to fact I think the four best birding binoculars around are the Swarovski SV 8x32, Nikon SE 8x32, Nikon EII 8x30 and the Leica 8x32 BN.

Is this the start of a "pump and dump" for your 8x32 SV?

People can hardly find any of the other 3 if they want to buy one new and it is tough to find them used.

Instead you should be arguing that your 8x32 SV is better than Nikons EDG or Leicas Ultravid or Zeiss's FL.

A simple rhinoplasty can cost as little as $3,000 if you don't want your nose to be to perfect like Diana Ross's and later fall off like Jacko's. Plus $400 for an EII, and for $3,400, you've got an alpha quality view at an alpha quality price.

Unlike the latest alphas, the EII's optics were perfected 16 years ago, and Nikon didn't need to change them except the coatings, which were updated. To boot, Tom will make more money in his new career as a male model. What more could you ask for? :smoke:

Brocko, not Jacko

Is this the start of a "pump and dump" for your 8x32 SV?

People can hardly find any of the other 3 if they want to buy one new and it is tough to find them used.

Instead you should be arguing that your 8x32 SV is better than Nikons EDG or Leicas Ultravid or Zeiss's FL.
I can't dump the SV 8x32 it is the only binocular I have. I think I am going to buy an EII 8x30 BNIB from Amazon for $414. That is a real deal for a brand new EII with free shipping and they probably have the very latest coatings from Nikon with the newer improved dent resistant black body armour. I am cash flush from selling about 4 other binoculars but I am not sold on the Zeiss SF yet. Maybe the EII will fulfill my wide FOV fantasies without breaking the bank.

Last edited:
Oetzi, clearly you understand, I`m not suggesting the EII is "better" than the SF, clearly the EII is less "worldly" than the SF, but that view ! is sublime.
What do you mean by "Worldly"? Something that is "Worldly" doesn't necessarily perform any better than something that is less "Worldly." There is nothing wrong with liking the EII better.

Which you will promptly flip when the current supply dries up. Seems you get interested (again) in certain bins when a) interest on BF rises while b) market price is low. Speculator. :smoke:
Your probably right. I just have to see what Torview see's in the EII. I really think there are a lot of EII's sitting over in Japan. There has been a steady supply for some time at varying prices but the supply hasn't dried up yet. I see you have good tastes with the two best porro's ever made the SE and EII and probably the best values out there. Good choice.

Have you tried the EII?
Measurements of IPD are one thing, but in reality there is easily a give-and-take of 2mm between eyes and eyepieces, with you still getting a good view.

No, I haven't tried an EII. Have never had my hands on one. However my experience, with several binoculars, has been that if they don't have a full 74mm IPD, then it is a very frustrating experience for me to try to use them. One where I have to extend them to maximum, position my eyes perfectly, and then I am constantly slightly shifting them left and right, as I can see the edge of the field in either one or both eyes.

In the case of binos with large exit pupils, say 6mm, I can make do. As the EII has 3.75mm exit pupils, there is a very good chance it would be maddening.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back