• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Covering frog spawn. (1 Viewer)

gw4aurora

In eclipse
Hi,

As most will know the weatherman has forecast some very cold conditions for the coming week. I know many of you like myself have spawn and newly emerged tadpoles in your ponds, it would be a shame if the frost killed off these. This happened to me a few years ago and from tomorrow I will be covering the pond at the spawn end with some heavy duty plastic.

What do you think.

Chris.

Hi Chris, my spawn is mostly hatched now but I was keeping a batch of tadoples in a bucket till they were big enough not to be eaten by the fish and I've put these back into the pond as I think they stand a better chance there than of being to frozen to death!
I think it's a great idea to cover some of the water with plastic, if the water freezes it will enable you to lift it and let some air in too.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back