• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Like confessing to murder - giving up birding (1 Viewer)

John,
have you already forgotten about the 50+ (70) Hobby's seen regularly at Stodmarsh in recent years? Or perhaps moments like, when you came rushing toward me at Bockhill gleefully pointing to the fabulous turquoise Blue Cheeked Bee Eater perched there on that sunny day not so long ago? Or the Paddy Field Warbler almost sitting on the birders boots, or the Green Heron at Hythe? I could go on...

Give up birding, nah! :flyaway:

Last edited:
John,
have you already forgotten about the 50+ (70) Hobby's seen regularly at Stodmarsh in recent years? Or perhaps moments like, when you came rushing toward me at Bockhill gleefully pointing to the fabulous turquoise Blue Cheeked Bee Eater perched there on that sunny day not so long ago? Or the Paddy Field Warbler almost sitting on the birders boots, or the Green Heron at Hythe? I could go on...

Give up birding, nah! :flyaway:

Dammit, someone here who actually knows me and can testify to my childish bouts of hyper enthusiasm when seeing good birds - most unfair!

No, I haven't forgotten and I don't deny that UK birding can still provide some very satisfactory 'highs.' Moments like seeing three Nightjar and several Woodcock in Blean last night or the wonderfully evocative time I had recently hearing a Bittern booming as two summer plumage White-winged Black Tern danced across the evening sky. I've already admitted to degree of exaggeration in the title of this thread, but the sad truth remains that all too often I find myself unenthusiastic about birding in the UK. I do find it depressing that so many once common birds are now scarce or absent and would rather stay at home than confront this sad reality. Why else would I be typing this on this Saturday morning rather than getting out birding?

what a great thread

I too am a late 50's birder but I didn't take up birding until '88/'89 when I shared an office with an ardent twitcher. OK, I'd been interested in birds (well wildlife in general) since I was 8 or 9 (according to my parents) so progressing into actually watching and looking for them made sense. I started off with a £10 pair of Dixon's own brand binoculars which were soon replaced, etc, etc. Much of the 90's is a blur of long distance twitches, some fabulous birds and some lasting friendships plus an enduring love affair with Scilly. I'll be on Scilly in October for the 22nd consecutive year (add in the Lesser Kestrel twitch and three summer family holidays) and I know I'll enjoy that fortnight as much as I enjoyed my first ever week there. My daughter's greatest wish would be to get married in Old Town Church (pass the lottery tickets !!!)

However, the last few years, well I sometimes feel that (esp twitches) are just too much bother. I've done regular tours of my "patch" for the last twenty years and noted an improvement (honest) in the "day to day" birds as parts of the area have become more natural following disastrous "improvement" work, surveys (in Greater Manc and in Cheshire) but I can't get the "day to day" wonder back - in the UK.

However, trips to Spain (birding), Florida, France, Italy & Portugal (sunshine holidays) and most recently South Africa (following the England rugby team) are still all massively enjoyable events on the "bird-o-meter".

However, the last few years, well I sometimes feel that (esp twitches) are just too much bother ..... but I can't get the "day to day" wonder back - in the UK.

However, trips to Spain (etc) birding .... are still all massively enjoyable events on the "bird-o-meter".

This puts my point it perfectly,

I've not been birding for as long. I've not got a record when I officially started, but it must be between 20-25 years.

One thing you mention is flocks of birds that have disappeared in your lifetime. Perhaps because I've never been aware of these massive flocks that it's hard for me to comprehend, after all if I've never seen them I can never know what it was like to have experienced them.

But I also live in a different place from you - the birds I experience on a daily basis are likely to be different from what you see. I live in a place where if I have a car both the west and east coasts of Scotland with their mixture of cliffs and rocky or sandy shores are accessible within a couple of hours drive, as are mountains and moor, river and loch, so I feel privileged to have such diverse land and seascapes so near to had.

I am aware that it is difficult to see some birds - I've seen a spotted flycatcher twice this year, but I really had to look for them. I've not seen a yellowhammer yet this year and it isn't normally easy to see them, likewise with the tree sparrow. I've not even heard, let alone see, a cuckoo this year.

But then you mentioned the willow warbler being scarce; by contrast you can hardly move near me for them, most stretches of woodland are teeming with them, with chiffchaffs in lower numbers among them.

However, I've been without a car now for almost two years now. Last year was the most depressing for me birding-wise because I hardly ever got to go to the places where I have seen the most diverse range of birds, simply because they were not very accessible without a car.

This year I made up for this by booking a holiday where someone could drive me around, and I booked onto day trips on boats for a similar experience. I've borrowed a car once and it was great to have the opportunity to visit some of those more distant places again.

I have also been birding at a much gentler pace than most people on this forum seem to be. Even after all the years that I have been birding, my UK list is standing at 176, and the most I've seen in one year is 120, although I'm currently at 117 for this year so may set a new record for myself. Some people on this forum report over 100 birds on New Year's Day!

However, it's not all about the numbers. I don't consider myself to be a twitcher - if a rarity does show up a few miles down the road then I'll probably try and see it, but I'm not likely to drop everything and visit Lewis because something rare has turned up there - in that regard I really like seeing birds in their natural environment rather than turning up windblown and ragged in a hedge 2,000 miles away from where it should be.

But while I've not seen that many birds in the grand scheme of things, and I say numbers aren't important, I still like to see new birds - who wouldn't? But I supplement my interest in birds with a wider interest in natural history - I enjoy going out on boats seeking cetaceans; I've started taking an interest in plants and flowers, and this is the first year I've really noticed orchids, helped in part by a woman who had a real interest in them that I had met while on holiday; butterflies and moths are really catching my eye now.

But I also started another thread about wanting to see all the penguin species in the world. This wasn't just about seeking out penguins, but was a way to widen my birding horizons - there's so much out there still to be discovered, although I only have limited funds, so I don't know how likely my goal will be. But at the end of the day, even when I was up in Shetland watching Arctic skuas and gannets, wheatears and merlins, there was still a simple pleasure in returning home and seeing rooks and jackdaws, chaffinches and goldfinches. Hopefully I'll never get to the stage where I get bored of such daily sights. Perhaps it requires visits to different places to really appreciate what you have at home, even if they are not as spectacular in terms of plumage or song or present in the same numbers.

But the UK does have its own spectacles, we have some of the largest seabird colonies in the world, we do still have impressive murmurations of starlings, you just need to go to the right places.

I must say that my own birding interest usually takes a dip during summer, only to be reawakened in autumn when the migrants start returning. But as I mentioned above, I've been taking an interest in other flora and fauna, so this maintains my interest in natural history right through summer as well.

I do find it depressing that so many once common birds are now scarce or absent and would rather stay at home than confront this sad reality. Why else would I be typing this on this Saturday morning rather than getting out birding?

Possibly because it is (yet again) p***ing down outside? It is here anyway.

I'm sorry you thought I was being patronising earlier, I have too much respect for your ability for that, but I was trying to provoke you a bit!

I don't think you really have much to worry about, if there's one great thing about birding as a hobby its that you can do it as much or as little as you want, wherever you choose to do it. The important thing is its supposed to be enjoyable.

John

One of the things that always strikes me about birding is how quickly you can take things for granted. Living and birding almost exclusively in NW Britain, an autumn trip to the Yorkshire can be very revealing.

Anything about

"nope its very quiet"

Just an Icterine Warbler, 2 Yellow-broweds and 4 Black Redstarts, which any individually would be your highlight of the autumn back home 9 years out of 10.

Possibly because it is (yet again) p***ing down outside? It is here anyway.

I'm sorry you thought I was being patronising earlier, I have too much respect for your ability for that, but I was trying to provoke you a bit!

I don't think you really have much to worry about, if there's one great thing about birding as a hobby its that you can do it as much or as little as you want, wherever you choose to do it. The important thing is its supposed to be enjoyable.

John

No apologies needed whatsoever, John, as I know well enough that that wasn't your intention. And even if it was then it was well worth it to be the recipient of such a handsome, if ill deserved, compliment. You're right that you can do as much, or as little, as you please of whatsoever hobby you choose to embrace; that said I still feel a bit guilty about my current lack of effort!

One of the things that always strikes me about birding is how quickly you can take things for granted. Living and birding almost exclusively in NW Britain, an autumn trip to the Yorkshire can be very revealing.

Anything about

"nope its very quiet"

Just an Icterine Warbler, 2 Yellow-broweds and 4 Black Redstarts, which any individually would be your highlight of the autumn back home 9 years out of 10.

You're so right, Jane. On a much smaller scale on my first visit to Yorkshire for decades last summer I was absurdly delighted to see Golden Plover on their breeding grounds and just hearing the 'gok gok gok' of Red Grouse gave me a huge buzz,

.......... trip to the Yorkshire can be very revealing.

I was at Potteric Carr on Saturday and, apart from being eaten by every mozzie in the universe, I was as happy as a dog with two *****. Nothing earth shattering, but seeing broods of Pochard and Pintail, plus lots of other good wildlife made for a cracking day. There again it doesn't take much to amuse / delight me :-O

Chris

I was at Potteric Carr on Saturday and, apart from being eaten by every mozzie in the universe, I was as happy as a dog with two *****. Nothing earth shattering, but seeing broods of Pochard and Pintail, plus lots of other good wildlife made for a cracking day. There again it doesn't take much to amuse / delight me :-O

Chris

I always remember a sketch in the book at Potteric Carr showing the breeding Little Bitterns with an express train appearing from the side. Very funny and well executed and cracking birds as well. :t:

Very thought provoking piece, John. As others have said, there is that distinction between birding and going out birding. You should try living in central London like me - you really have to make an effort to go out birding and sometimes the game is not worth the candle. I have the foreign tick-fest bug too and when I get back from a trip I often feel deflated and even more disappointed with English birding. Maybe the only times I get a buzz out of SE England birding is when the spring migrants come in a rush or when returning waders are in BP. Both are a contrast effect - a relief after a run of dull days.

I haven't really got anything to add to the debate other than empathy.

You should try living in central London like me - you really have to make an effort to go out birding and sometimes the game is not worth the candle.

Thanks for the 'offer', but no thank you! Two-three days in the 'Great Wen', as William Cobbett called it, is enough for me. Then again if I did live in central London I might be so desperate to leave the place for the countryside that the lack of birds might not seem so bad after all. The effort I need to expend to get to a good birding destination is about 15 minutes in a car which makes my lethargy all the more shameful!

John:

I think part of the problem is the difficulty of travel now. At 60+ travel is not a lot of fun. It often comes down to do I want the hassle and expense of going to where I want to get to.

I will be flying to Scotland for a few days in late July and on to Italy to see family. The price is a killer. I think the airlines are cutting seats to squeeze prices higher. Not much left for a birding budget. Toronto, Atlanta, Charles DeGaulle and Heathrow are no fun after a knee replacement.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back