• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has Conquest HD 8x32 matched the older Victory T* FL LT 8x32 - cost aside (1 Viewer)

ZDHart

United States
I am interested in one of these two models. Obviously, the cost difference is dramatic and for that difference, one should expect nothing but a better product. Does one truly get a significantly superior pair of bins with the Victory FL vs. the Conquest HD?

The design dates of these two models are different (as was the marketplace at the time of design) and one might think that the Conquest HD, being a newer design, may possibly benefit from some improvement, such as a development in coatings, etc.

If the cost to you was the same, would you choose the Victory, or might the Conquest offer something possibly as good as, or even better than, the older Victory FL model?

Certainly there are differences in the designs, materials, coatings, etc. However, the specifications below are quite similar:

Zeiss Victory 8x32 T* FL LT
Exit Pupil 4.0
Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 32 mm
Field of View 420 feet/1000 yards - 64
Eye Relief 16 mm
Close Focus 6.5 feet
Weight 19.75 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 4.6 x 5.1 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

=============================================
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32
Exit Pupil 4.0
Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 32 mm
Field of View 420 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 16 mm
Close Focus 4.9 feet
Weight 22.2 ounces
Dimensions (H x W) 4.9 x 4.5 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

====================

This thought also occurs to me: why hasn't Zeiss produced an 8x32 HT?

Last edited:

James...thanks for the input. I presume you were talking about the 8x42 Victory FL to 8x42 Conquest HD comparison. And, would you also conclude that the 8x32 Victory FL to 8x32 Conquest HD comparison would mirror that?

I trust your conclusion is that paying for an 8x32 FL is, perhaps, unnecessary... when one can obtain an 8x32 Conquest HD?

I ask because I have never held a pair of FL's, nor HT's.

But I will say that my pair of Conquest HD 10x42's continue to impress me, very much, as I use them each day, for hours, gazing at the wildlife majesty in the Sonoran desert that is my "back yard". My offerings of plentiful free food and running water have resulted in a veritable wildlife party from sun up to sun down each day here at "the camp". And my Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's are proving to be superb at granting me amazing, up-close-and-personal views of the goings on in the sky, on the ground, and at the feeders and water features.

Last edited:
I have an FL 8x32 but I am a huge admirer of the Conquest HD 8x32.

The FL is a little better in most ways and these all add up, but IMHO the only area in which the FL is decisively better is in control of chromatic aberrations or 'colour fringing', and even with this I find I have to look for it in the Conquest, it doesn't intrude in normal viewing. Only you can decide whether the difference is worth paying for.

Where the Conquest is decisively better than FL is in close-focusing distance.

The HT design doesn't lend itself to 32mm binocular design for reasons discussed elsewhere on BF.

Anyone would be proud to own either of these two instruments.

Lee

I have an FL 8x32 but I am a huge admirer of the Conquest HD 8x32.

The FL is a little better in most ways and these all add up, but IMHO the only area in which the FL is decisively better is in control of chromatic aberrations or 'colour fringing', and even with this I find I have to look for it in the Conquest, it doesn't intrude in normal viewing. Only you can decide whether the difference is worth paying for.

Where the Conquest is decisively better than FL is in close-focusing distance.

The HT design doesn't lend itself to 32mm binocular design for reasons discussed elsewhere on BF.

Anyone would be proud to own either of these two instruments.

Lee

Thanks Lee for your comments. I wasn't aware of the HT design not lending itself well to a 32mm objective.

Yes, I noticed the close focusing of the FL at 6.5' and 4.9' for the Conquest HD.

Do you think the Conquest HD 8x32 may have a wider sweet spot than the 8x32 FL? James indicated that he felt the sweet spot was wider in the Conquest HD vs. the FL, but I think he was referring to x42 models, not the 8x32.

Last edited:
Thanks Lee for your comments. I wasn't aware of the HT design not lending itself well to a 32mm objective.

Yes, I noticed the close focusing of the FL at 6.5' and 4.9' for the Conquest HD.

Do you think the Conquest HD 8x32 may have a wider sweet spot than the 8x32 FL? James indicated that he felt the sweet spot was wider in the Conquest HD vs. the FL, but I think he was referring to x42 models, not the 8x32.

Sorry ZD, can't answer your question as this feature was not something that I compared.

Zeiss are clear that the A-K prisms are a feature of the HT concept and these would be too large for a 32mm to remain as compact as it should. In addition the Schott HT glasses suitable for S-P prism use, do not give a sufficient light transmission increase. So it follows that there will be no HT 32mm. However I am sure that as the current Zeiss investment in new products rolls forward there will be a new alpha 32mm eventually.

Lee

Lee... thanks again for the informative post.

I ordered a pair of Conquest HD 8x32 today and should have them Wednesday. If they are anything like the Conquest HD 10x42 that I've been using, but smaller, I will be absolutely thrilled with them, I'm sure. And what a great combination the two of them will be. :t:

I've spent a lot of time recently comparing Zeiss, Swaro, and Leica and without a doubt, Zeiss has become my top choice, with Swaro taking up second place.

Lee... thanks again for the informative post.

I ordered a pair of Conquest HD 8x32 today and should have them Wednesday. If they are anything like the Conquest HD 10x42 that I've been using, but smaller, I will be absolutely thrilled with them, I'm sure. And what a great combination the two of them will be. :t:

I've spent a lot of time recently comparing Zeiss, Swaro, and Leica and without a doubt, Zeiss has become my top choice, with Swaro taking up second place.

ZD

What a great combo. I am sure you will enjoy them immensely. :t:

Lee

ZD

What a great combo. I am sure you will enjoy them immensely. :t:

Lee

Enjoy, indeed! It is a remarkable pleasure to use a pair of truly superb bins while observing nature.

I've lived with a pair of Leitz 8x20 BCAs for over thirty years. For a time I thought they were pretty good bins and in their day, and for their size, I guess they were.

However, I recently decided to see what was out there in the bin marketplace to replace the old BCAs and I'm stunned at the amazing bins available these days... it's fantastic.

James...thanks for the input. I presume you were talking about the 8x42 Victory FL to 8x42 Conquest HD comparison. And, would you also conclude that the 8x32 Victory FL to 8x32 Conquest HD comparison would mirror that?

I trust your conclusion is that paying for an 8x32 FL is, perhaps, unnecessary... when one can obtain an 8x32 Conquest HD?

I ask because I have never held a pair of FL's, nor HT's.

But I will say that my pair of Conquest HD 10x42's continue to impress me, very much, as I use them each day, for hours, gazing at the wildlife majesty in the Sonoran desert that is my "back yard". My offerings of plentiful free food and running water have resulted in a veritable wildlife party from sun up to sun down each day here at "the camp". And my Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's are proving to be superb at granting me amazing, up-close-and-personal views of the goings on in the sky, on the ground, and at the feeders and water features.

ZD,

I have the 8x32 Conquest but Lee has the 8x32 FL, so I would put stock in his comparison. Either way, great glass.

BTW - you live in what I would consider one of the most beautiful and interesting places on earth, one of my favourite birding destinations. I need to get back there soon as it has been far too long [more than a decade] since I walked the Sonora. There is just something magical about the deserts of Arizona.

Greetings. In a side-by-side comparison between the two models, the FL is both brighter and lighter. Further, the FL is less critical to eye placement, thus more comfortable to use. No question, both are competent models, and both will give their owners wonderful years of service. But the FL is better, certainly, if cost is not a factor. If cost is a factor, FL is still the pair of choice, particularly at the current demo model prices available here in the US. Enjoy in good health.

ZD,

I have the 8x32 Conquest but Lee has the 8x32 FL, so I would put stock in his comparison. Either way, great glass.

BTW - you live in what I would consider one of the most beautiful and interesting places on earth, one of my favourite birding destinations. I need to get back there soon as it has been far too long [more than a decade] since I walked the Sonora. There is just something magical about the deserts of Arizona.

Thank you. And yes, I fully agree: the Sonoran Desert IS a very magical place. I live about a mile from the Off-Road Vehicle entrance to Tonto National Forest and frequently go there in my Jeep. But my property is in the desert as well and full of native sonoran desert trees, shrubs, birds, and animals. Bird watching from the back porch has made me lazy! I'll post some pics which you might enjoy seeing.

Greetings. In a side-by-side comparison between the two models, the FL is both brighter and lighter. Further, the FL is less critical to eye placement, thus more comfortable to use. No question, both are competent models, and both will give their owners wonderful years of service. But the FL is better, certainly, if cost is not a factor. If cost is a factor, FL is still the pair of choice, particularly at the current demo model prices available here in the US. Enjoy in good health.

Thanks, ibramr. Lighter, brighter, and less critical to eye placement are all good things. After I receive my Conquest HD 8x32, if I am not totally thrilled with them, I can always do an exchange for the FLs.

Last edited:
As a relatively new Zeiss binocular fan, I started out with Terra 8x42, splurged on FL 8x32, and also had Conquest HD 8x42 for a few weeks. This is a bit of apples and oranges compared to the OP question, but the Terras and the FLs are still here and the Conquests went back. Very nice binoculars, but totally redundant having the other two. The FLs are really something special IMHO, exceptional ergonomics and clear clear color rendition.

As a relatively new Zeiss binocular fan, I started out with Terra 8x42, splurged on FL 8x32, and also had Conquest HD 8x42 for a few weeks. This is a bit of apples and oranges compared to the OP question, but the Terras and the FLs are still here and the Conquests went back. Very nice binoculars, but totally redundant having the other two. The FLs are really something special IMHO, exceptional ergonomics and clear clear color rendition.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like you prefer the Terra 8x42 to the Conquest HD 8x42. I've never held a pair of Terras, but I am a huge fan of my Conquest HD 10x42s. I think the only thing that could separate me from my HD 10x42's would be a pair of HT 10x42's.

I'm considering picking up a pair of 8x32 FL's as well, so I can carefully compare them to the 8x32 HD's... then decide which to keep.

Last edited:
ZD,

James... here are some images from behind my house...

V2060108.jpg

V2270063.jpg

V2270075.jpg

V2270014.jpg

V2150995.jpg

V2150960.jpg

V2150422.jpg

Z9030986.jpg

The FL is a not-so-ordinary binocular, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on what you're after.
I had the 10x32 FL and it was plenty bright and sharp. But I don't concur with bdbender4's opinion about their colour rendition. It may seem neutral but it erases pale peach and pink hues and makes the scene appear slightly lifeless.
Of the two, I would choose the Conquest HD, which apart from its very favourable RRP has very nice, balanced set of features.

//L

The FL is a not-so-ordinary binocular, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on what you're after.
I had the 10x32 FL and it was plenty bright and sharp. But I don't concur with bdbender4's opinion about their colour rendition. It may seem neutral but it erases pale peach and pink hues and makes the scene appear slightly lifeless.
Of the two, I would choose the Conquest HD, which apart from its very favourable RRP has very nice, balanced set of features.

//L

I do enjoy just a touch of peachy pink (optimistic warmth) in my outlook on the world... so I can imagine a lack of same giving a very lifeless look indeed. Now I'm having doubts about ordering an 8x32 FL.

Interesting comments pro and con. Obviously, the only way for one to know what suits him best is with first-hand experience.

BTW, what is RRP?

Last edited:
Marvelous.

It must be pretty cool to have birds like Cactus Wren and Phainopepla as feeder birds. And that view over your back fence makes me very itchy to get back there!

James... thank you.

You know your desert birds, don't you! I only catch glimpses of the male Phainopepla. The female has dropped by for a good drink and a bath a couple of times. We're not offering any fruit, so I think that's why they don't hang around the feeders. They must live close to the house, though, as I see them around the trees fairly often. I guess I need to find out how to attract them with fruit.

Those little cactus wrens are so beautiful. My faves so far are the gilded flicker (simply AMAZING looking birds! Incredibly rich and regal, especially with wings spread revealing all that gold!)

Mr. & Mrs. Cardinal (actually we seem to have around 4 males and two or three females) are always enjoyable to see. Must be tough being bright red from head to claws, though, makes it hard to be stealth in the desert! Can run, but sure can't hide! And imagine the teasing the young male Cardinals must get from the other kids in grade school! :-O

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back