• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rarest and favorite (1 Viewer)

minkstone

Hi everyone thought i would join this garden bird forum as i am not is active now and apart from my local patch i spend alot of the time watching the feeders,i would be interested to know what is the rarest bird too visit your garden and what is your favorite.
My rarest bird too visit my yard ( I live in a terraced house ) has got to be a Black Redstart witch stayed for two days B :)
My favorite are the Bullfinches :t: Stuart

My rarest I would say is the gray catbird, because it only visited 2 times, both on the same day, and I never saw one again.

My favorite is the bluejay. I love their beauty, but more so their seemingly wiseguy personality.

My rarest was a Brown Thrasher which briefly visited my yard a few years ago (Brown Thrashers are rare vagrants in Nevada).

My favorite without a doubt is the Western Scrub-jay--beautiful, confiding (when treated right), bright-eyed, athletic & intelligent with a complicated social structure & interesting habits. And they sure do like peanuts!

Last edited:
It would be either the American Bittern that came to the pond one week or the Evening grosbeaks that came to the feeder during a big cold spell in the winter.

We had a flicker eating bugs in our yard a month ago. I'd like to see that again.

My current favorite is the herd of bushtits that swarm the suet feeder. They are so tiny and really fun to watch.

Not much in my yard prob Goldcrest the best, best flyover has too be 3 Little Egrets, I had a phone call from a mate at Westport Lake (my local patch) to say 3 Little Egrets had just flown over following the canal south, as I live just off the canal and south of Westport I ran out the house just in time to see them flying over:t:

The rarest visitor to my garden, that has actually been in my garden is probably the red-browed finches, and I would love to see them again.

My favourite is a more difficult one. I loved when the diamond firetail finches were here last winter, and I hope they return this year. But I also love seeing the grey shrike thrush and hearing them call, it's so beautiful. Also the mistletoebird. Really, as long as I get a bird in my yard, I'm happy :p

The rarest visitor to my garden, that has actually been in my garden is probably the red-browed finches, and I would love to see them again.

My favourite is a more difficult one. I loved when the diamond firetail finches were here last winter, and I hope they return this year. But I also love seeing the grey shrike thrush and hearing them call, it's so beautiful. Also the mistletoebird. Really, as long as I get a bird in my yard, I'm happy :p

Hi Azzy, I'm visiting Adelaide for a month from mid October, are the birds you mention easy to get?

Cheers

I'm sure everyone can guess my answer by now but rarest has to be Siberian Rubythroat and I'd be hard pressed to think of a better one.

Hi Azzy, I'm visiting Adelaide for a month from mid October, are the birds you mention easy to get?

Cheers

If you know where to look. Of those species, the diamond firetail would be the hardest as they're not very urban. But I know places that they are found, though whether you see them or not is another matter! The red-browed finches are more common, though again not so urban, but there are a few places in adelaide surrounds that they are common. The grey shrike thrush and mistletoebird are more common. But they're not the sort of bird that every garden will have. Sometimes we don't see the grey shrike thrush for a month, then it will be back again for a week etc. Though you could probably find it in the botatnic gardens in the city centre. If there were other particular birds you were looking for, I'd be happy to help you out with locations for as many as I could. I would offer to meet up or help out when you got here, but I will actually be overseas in october. But still, feel free to ask anything on here or PM etc.

Do you know what part of adelaide you will be staying in? It's not a big city, but it still helps to know what you will be close to :p

Hi everyone thought i would join this garden bird forum as i am not is active now and apart from my local patch i spend alot of the time watching the feeders,i would be interested to know what is the rarest bird too visit your garden and what is your favorite.
My rarest bird too visit my yard ( I live in a terraced house ) has got to be a Black Redstart witch stayed for two days B :)
My favorite are the Bullfinches :t: Stuart

I remember that Black Redstart you jammy begger Suart!
I live in an urban area but I try and encourage more rarer birds, well rare for where I live.
I've had Goldcrest on a couple of occasions this winter. A male Blackcap last winter which stayed for weeks feeding on apples. Redwings now and again when it's very cold.
A Tawney Owl has got to be the rarest though.

Saw a female Black Redstart at work last year, was the highlight of my year. Still waiting for something this year, mind you every time i get out it's a highlight

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back