• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House sparrow problem (1 Viewer)

FloLo

Hi all,

Love watching the birds on the feeder in the garden. A year or so ago we used to get sparrows, blue/coal/great/long tailed tits, green/gold/chaffinches, robins, wrens, etc.

Recently, the only regular visitors are sparrows, blue tit, robin and dunnock. We have a huge amount of house sparrows in our hawthorn hedges, maybe 30-40. As much as it's wonderful to have them, they are bullying the other birds! They don't mind the blue tits but any other bird on the feeder and they chase them off! We had a goldcrest and it must have stayed for about 30 seconds. Saw a Chaffinch in the garden today for the first time in a year and it got chased off pretty quick.

I don't know if there is much I can do to help other bird species? There is wild seed, peanuts and niger seed out. The sparrows even hog the peanuts! Also they are very messy and seed goes all over the floor and has now attracted rats. I have rabbits so not ideal really!

Any advice?

Hi all,

Love watching the birds on the feeder in the garden. A year or so ago we used to get sparrows, blue/coal/great/long tailed tits, green/gold/chaffinches, robins, wrens, etc.

Recently, the only regular visitors are sparrows, blue tit, robin and dunnock. We have a huge amount of house sparrows in our hawthorn hedges, maybe 30-40. As much as it's wonderful to have them, they are bullying the other birds! They don't mind the blue tits but any other bird on the feeder and they chase them off! We had a goldcrest and it must have stayed for about 30 seconds. Saw a Chaffinch in the garden today for the first time in a year and it got chased off pretty quick.

I don't know if there is much I can do to help other bird species? There is wild seed, peanuts and niger seed out. The sparrows even hog the peanuts! Also they are very messy and seed goes all over the floor and has now attracted rats. I have rabbits so not ideal really!

Any advice?

Some people will say that Sparrows are in decline, and you're lucky to have so many in your garden ;)

But I know what it's like to see one species bullying others, and it's good to see a mixture of birds feeding... and they all need a bit of help at times.

The best way I know is to feed Sunflower Hearts, as Sparrows aren't fond of them. They will eat them if hungry, but they don't tend to hog the feeders as much. A few years ago I had 50+ Sparrows, but hardly any Chaffinches, and I fed mixed seed in the feeders; now I feed Sunflower Hearts and I've at least 10 Chaffinches visiting each day, and the Sparrows are still about locally, just not at my feeders as often.

Oh, and Chaffinches like Peanut Butter with seeds mixed in, Sparrows don't seem as keen on it (I've a male Blackcap that's been visiting for the peanut butter this year too)

The best solution might be to offer a variety of feeder types and foods - for example put up a tube feeder with thistle for finches, sparrows tend not to use that type of feeder or go for thistle much, especially if they have other options. Also maybe a mesh feeder without perches, which tits can cling to but the sparrows would have trouble using.

Thanks everyone for your replies!
To be honest I think the sparrows eat most seeds - they even cling to the peanut feeder!! I will see if feeding just sunflower hearts will do, I have had other people suggest this.
Have had a lot of blue tits which is great, and had a pair of jays which is always nice to see!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back