• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

This was interesting at Fairburn yesterday, not just the bird itself but where it and others were nesting........... the old sandstone wall in the village, opposite the Cut car park.
Apparently they've nested there regularly for the last few years. Anybody know if this "nesting in walls" is usual for Sand Martins .....?
Cheers Joe

Attachments

• Sand Martin copy.jpg
    Sand Martin copy.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Joe - the wall is sandstone (I think) so to the martin I reckon they see it as a 'funny' cliff face. Thinking about the artificial sand martin nesting places that are put up they are no more than walls with holes in so it must be relatively common enough for martins to use house walls.

Very pleasing walk from Huby to Pool in Wharfedale via Almscliff crag. Highlights were good views of male and female Wheatear, and Dipper and Grey Wagtail next to each other, just a few feet from where we were standing.

Nice walk down river from Tadcaster this afternoon with the kids. New for the "local patch" was a Reed Bunting, more regular birds included first house and sand martins, a pair of Goosanders - over the past couple of years I have noticed these not just in winter but during the rest of the year as well on the Wharfe between Tadcaster and Wetherby. Not sure whether they breed locally? I thought they went further up river?

Michael

Michael
I used to do the BBS survey for the BTO by the Wharfe at Boston Spa and have encountered goosanders with downy chicks on a couple of occasions. So they are definitely breeding in the area, not forgetting that as hole nesters you are not going to stumble over the sitting bird.

Nice walk down river from Tadcaster this afternoon with the kids. New for the "local patch" was a Reed Bunting, more regular birds included first house and sand martins, a pair of Goosanders - over the past couple of years I have noticed these not just in winter but during the rest of the year as well on the Wharfe between Tadcaster and Wetherby. Not sure whether they breed locally? I thought they went further up river?

Michael

gropper

nice confiding bird at Flamborough today.

Attachments

• grasshopperwarbler1.jpg
    grasshopperwarbler1.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 66
  • grasshopperwarbler2.jpg
    grasshopperwarbler2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 106
A good walk around St Aidans this afternoon with Keith. Despite a stiff, nithering breeze Bittern could be heard booming from the eastern reebed. The highlight was 5 Black-necked Grebe showing very well at times.

Only four Black Necked Grebes today, but there were also two Black Terns which was a first for me.

Graeme
There's still 6 BNG (report from today via pm) but they can be quite elusive and it can be difficult to be sure of the numbers, yesterday Ken and I got to 5 birds showing simultaneously but before that fleeting moment when they did all show we had been guessing 3 or 4 birds.

There's still 6 BNG (report from today via pm) but they can be quite elusive and it can be difficult to be sure of the numbers, yesterday Ken and I got to 5 birds showing simultaneously but before that fleeting moment when they did all show we had been guessing 3 or 4 birds.

If things at Swillington are as dire as I have read elsewhere should news of potential rare breeding birds be broadcast here? It would be different if there was effective wardening and protection.

Steve

Thanks Steve, you beat me to it! With the current situation as it is with the RSPB stand off, anything on the Rare Breeding Birds Panel list, shouldn't be reported in the public domain at this time of year. Im against suppressing of birds, but id rather see any birds get a fair chance to breed (should they choose to).
On another note, has anyone seen the thread on Yorkshire Birders page on Facebook about St Aidans. No matter how tied their hands are, the RSPB arent doing themselves any favours by the sounds of it. Just hope they wise up and get their act together for the sake of St Aidans.

Rob

Fair play Steve and Rob but the news about these birds has been out in the public domain for several days thanks to the various bird services/blogs etc. I'd sooner publicise the birds at St Aidan's and keep quiet about others that I may know about.
Agree though that the situation at St Aidan's does need sorting soonest, although how you'd police the site I have no idea.

Yes its too late now, but should be a reminder to us all (me included) that not every1 has good intensions. Id still rather not see any more scedule 1 birds being reported on here or other social media sites, policing that itself is impossible ;)
In terms of policing st aidans, agree its difficult and probably equally impossible, but a presence on site IS a deterent.

True, but it is another example of how news can be gleaned. Unfortunately the problem with irresponsible users is not easily solved. One potential gain of open access is the number of visitors may deter poachers and hare coursers but I'm not crossing my fingers.

Completely agree with you Ken. Fingers crossed it (eventually) works! I just hope that the debate highlights to the powers that be, just how many people use the site and how much damage all parties are suffering, let alone the wildlife.

Rob

Rob - we are talking RSPB here, they have a history of myopia. I am not totally sure yet but this sorry state of affairs might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back, after 30+ years I am starting to consider stopping my subs to the RSPB. As I am already a YWT and YNU member I will be a few quid in hand as the only RSPB reserve I visit that has a charge is Blacktoft and I only go there a couple of times per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back