• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (54 Viewers)

Well, that's strange! When I lived in Burley Park area all you got were drug dealers, pigeons and the occasional red kite following the train line.

It made me do a double take. However, Vinery Road gets plenty of Long Tails, Goldfinch, Dunnock and theres been a Black Cap pair on feeders every day for months now. I'm just going back round and if this mornings bird is still there will try to get better shots than this mornings rubbish iPhone attempts.

Red Legged Partridge pottering about in Burley Park LS4 this morning. Easily approached, which was a bit worrying. Made a change from the usual Red Wing, GS Woodpeckers and Goldfinch.

Its quite surprising how urban/industrial RLP's can be; for example there are established populations around the Tinsley area of Sheffield. These do however tend to be pretty wary so an approachable one may perhaps be a refugee from a shoot release.

My mistake Dave. Had a shuftie at the 2012 report and there was only one record. Some Grey Partridge were released in 2010 and appeared to settle but they quickly disappeared and there was, also, only a single record

Anyone know anymore details re 'stone curlew' reported in Bridlington today???

one was heard flying over mid-evening yesterday: is that the one?

It would have to be a very good observer for such a record to be acceptable: we had one such in Rutland a few years ago.

Steve

one was heard flying over mid-evening yesterday: is that the one?

It would have to be a very good observer for such a record to be acceptable: we had one such in Rutland a few years ago.

Steve

My thoughts exactly...could be one of the flamborians nipping to the supermarket!

Nice to see some early migrants in the sun this morning at Fairburn.... 3 Sand Martins over Lin Dyke Car park

Just trying out the new lens on this Sleeping Beauty...:eek!:

Joe

Attachments

• DSC_0026 copy 2.jpg
    DSC_0026 copy 2.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
First post in a while.

Its been a long time since I posted anything on BF and its actually about somewhere just out of county! I had a ride up to Teesdale on Sunday it was alive with birds including hundreds of redwings, displaying lapwing, redwings & snipe plus oystercatcher, curlew and golden plover.I also saw a distant raptor that was probably a hen harrier.The grouse were the stars of the show and the full report is on the blog. http://eastyorkshirewildlife.blogspot.co.uk

Attachments

• Weardale (2 of 17).jpg
    Weardale (2 of 17).jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Weardale (15 of 17).jpg
    Weardale (15 of 17).jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 69
Ignored the dismal weather forecast and headed up to Arkengarthdale yesterday morning. It takes three hours from here with the M1 as it is, so it was 9.30 when we got to Shaw farm.

Fortunately there were eight male Black Grouse showing very nicely on the middle fields, plus two singles further back. No lekking though, too late in the day. And all ten decided to fly way back onto the moor at 10.30.

Despite the overcast and drizzle it was wonderful seeing and hearing the displaying waders. Slow motion Golden Plovers, drumming Snipe, bubbling Curlews. Great.

No sign of any Ring Ouzels anywhere, but we did have two Wheatears, one of which was singing, at Surrender Bridge and a pair of Dippers by the white wooden footbridge on the way there.

Another long drive then took us to Wykeham Forest where a perched and calling male Goshawk was a great sight. Then the annual pilgrimage to Bempton Cliffs - we could only see five Puffins: is it still a bit early for more, or are numbers down after the wreck?

As my friend who was driving said after 300 miles.......'There's a lot of this Yorkshire'.

Steve

Steve you might have been a touch too early for the puffins, I usually think of them as being April arrivals.
Glad you got the black grouse, I was toying with the drive up there but decided to go for the two barred crossers at Broomhead instead.

Steve you might have been a touch too early for the puffins, I usually think of them as being April arrivals.
Glad you got the black grouse, I was toying with the drive up there but decided to go for the two barred crossers at Broomhead instead.

15+ puffins off flamboro sunday gone,loafing on water,maybe still at prospecting stage???

I won't be winning any prizes but I'm glad Keith agreed to go to Broomhead. The Two-bars were my 250th for Yorkshire.

Only another 147 to take top spot

15+ puffins off flamboro sunday gone,loafing on water,maybe still at prospecting stage???

Didn't see any at Bempton today but the weather was lousy and only gave it just over an hour before moving to Flamborough where the weather worsened. Compared to this time last year numbers of the other auks are well down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back