• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strap and rainguard help (1 Viewer)

spacepilot

I'm trying to find a strap and ocular rainguard on my Leupold Golden Ring, and would like to seek your help.

I like to have my bins just under my chin, so I can raise it without too much motion and without disturbing the bird. The strap that came with the GR is contoured and pretty comfortable. But the cushioned part is a little bit too long and I cannot get the bins as high as I'd like. So I'm looking for a replacement strap that's good for supporting heavy bins (the GR's are 28oz), preferably contoured for the neck, and short enough to hang the bins high on the chest. I'm looking at the Op/Tech Pro strap. I wonder if anyone here has any experience with it or has other suggestions.

The GR rainguard is of good quality, too. But it is made of soft rubber and fits tight on the eyecups. I'd like to find a one-piece rainguard that's made of harder rubber or plastic and fits more loosely on the eyecups (more like how the Nikon SE rainguard fits), so I can get it on and off with less effort. The Zeiss Classic raiguard seems to be the right shape and offers several holes for the strap to pass through. I just don't know if it's big enough. The GR eyecups are about the same size as the Nikon SE's.

So if anyone could offer his experience with these products or have other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ning

I have some Op-tech straps and they are good. You may check out their EZ comfort strap, very simple and without the quick buckles. You want one short, so these are better, and very reasonably priced.
The Nikon SE factory rainguard seems very hard to find, unless someone here may
know a source.

Jerry

I'm trying to find a strap and ocular rainguard on my Leupold Golden Ring, and would like to seek your help.

I like to have my bins just under my chin, so I can raise it without too much motion and without disturbing the bird. The strap that came with the GR is contoured and pretty comfortable. But the cushioned part is a little bit too long and I cannot get the bins as high as I'd like. So I'm looking for a replacement strap that's good for supporting heavy bins (the GR's are 28oz), preferably contoured for the neck, and short enough to hang the bins high on the chest. I'm looking at the Op/Tech Pro strap. I wonder if anyone here has any experience with it or has other suggestions.

The GR rainguard is of good quality, too. But it is made of soft rubber and fits tight on the eyecups. I'd like to find a one-piece rainguard that's made of harder rubber or plastic and fits more loosely on the eyecups (more like how the Nikon SE rainguard fits), so I can get it on and off with less effort. The Zeiss Classic raiguard seems to be the right shape and offers several holes for the strap to pass through. I just don't know if it's big enough. The GR eyecups are about the same size as the Nikon SE's.

So if anyone could offer his experience with these products or have other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ning

Ning, I will check later to see if the Zeiss rain-guard fit's on the GR, I have it on my SE's and will check on my GR. Bryce...

Allow me to second the Op/tech EZ comfort strap. It's probably exactly what you're looking for. It might not cost enough, though.

(that's a joke)

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have the EZ comfort strap on my 10x Nikon SE's. I'd like to have a little more contour and better weight distribution (on the upper back instead of behind the neck) beyond the EZ comfort for my SE's. The Leupold GR's are a couple ounces heavier than the 10x SE's, so I didn't think it was what I was looking for. But I'll try it in the field before I decide.

Bryce, it would be great if you could try the Zeiss rainguard on you GR's for me.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Ning

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have the EZ comfort strap on my 10x Nikon SE's. I'd like to have a little more contour and better weight distribution (on the upper back instead of behind the neck) beyond the EZ comfort for my SE's. The Leupold GR's are a couple ounces heavier than the 10x SE's, so I didn't think it was what I was looking for. But I'll try it in the field before I decide.

Bryce, it would be great if you could try the Zeiss rainguard on you GR's for me.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Ning

Ning, the Zeiss rainguard will fit? It's pretty snug you have to push it on to get it there though. If you like snug fit it works. Hope that helps, Bryce... Duh!!! I read your original post, the Zeiss wouldn't work for what you want, to tight!

Last edited:
Ning, the Zeiss rainguard will fit? It's pretty snug you have to push it on to get it there though. If you like snug fit it works. Hope that helps, Bryce... Duh!!! I read your original post, the Zeiss wouldn't work for what you want, to tight!

Bryce, thanks. If it's not too much trouble, could you try your original SE rainguard on the GR and compare how it fits with the Zeiss rainguard? I tried my SE rainguard last night. It covers the GR eyecups and won't move unless you put the bins upside down, but requires a push to fit tight. I will use the GR as rainy day bins, and will be attaching and removing the rainguard a lot to keep the water off the lenses. That's why I want the rainguard to fit loosely. So if the Zeiss rainguard fits like the SE's on your GR, loosely but won't fall off when waling around, it probably has the right dimension I'm looking for. But if the Zeiss fits a lot tighter than the SE's, I'll probably need to look for something else. Thanks.

Ning

Bryce, thanks. If it's not too much trouble, could you try your original SE rainguard on the GR and compare how it fits with the Zeiss rainguard? I tried my SE rainguard last night. It covers the GR eyecups and won't move unless you put the bins upside down, but requires a push to fit tight. I will use the GR as rainy day bins, and will be attaching and removing the rainguard a lot to keep the water off the lenses. That's why I want the rainguard to fit loosely. So if the Zeiss rainguard fits like the SE's on your GR, loosely but won't fall off when waling around, it probably has the right dimension I'm looking for. But if the Zeiss fits a lot tighter than the SE's, I'll probably need to look for something else. Thanks.

Ning

Ning, the nikon eyeguard is a better fit than the Zeiss on the GR. That said maybe with use the Zeiss would work? I have a couple of the Zeiss the older one which is more used doesn't fit as tight as the newer one, I just tried it! Acctually think it might be want you are wanting? With the older one it fits snug enough to keep it from coming off but when you turn the glass upside down it falls off somewhat freely! Bryce...

Hmm, loosening with wear is something I've not thought of. I'll use the stock rainguard some more and see if it starts to fit looser. If not, I'll give the Zeiss a try. Thanks a lot, Bryce!

Ning

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back