• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with iPhoto please. (1 Viewer)

Crake

Can anyone give me advice on how to reduce the size of photographs in iPhoto. so that I can post them on the forum? I just can't see any thing in the menus that says "reduce size" it's probably there but in different computer speak. I have a "MacBook Pro" if that makes any difference. Me and computers are great until I have to do something I'm unfamiliar with.http://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Thank you,
Crake

I've just had a look. It seems what you have to do is select the photo, then from the menu at the top of the screen, select File --> Export. Choose jpg (under `file export'). Then you have to experiment a bit with sizes and quality. If you look at the exported image in IPhoto and click the info button at the bottom right, it'll tell you how big the image is (both in terms of memory taken up as well as resolution). That way you can make sure it satisfies the rules for birdforum uploads.

I'd recommend that when posting to the id forum it's worth to first crop the image (so that it shows only the bird in question), and then export to some suitable file size. That way as much detail of the bird itself will be preserved, making it easier for those trying to identify the bird for you.

Do let me know if this was clear enough,

Andrea

Usually for birdforum, after crop, it is a good rule of thumb to shoot for about 900 pixels on the long side of a photo.

Niels

I tend use 1200 for the "long side" of web uploads/emails, but I notice this forum automatically reduces uploads to 1024.

I've put a post on this forum, with a link to my howto for reducing image size, that might be of interest to the OP, it uses "Gimp" on Mac OS rather than iPhoto but its a freebie :)

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back