• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujinon Techno-Stabi Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Kevin Conville

yardbirder
Anyone out there using either the 12x32 or 14x40 versions of these? Are these the same as Nikon's stabilized?

Right out of the gate, they have two major advantages over the Canons by being waterproof and having a lifetime warranty. Older threads haven't been too complimentary but I'm wondering what the story is now, maybe they've been improved?

I've shied away from both high power standard bins and Canon IS bins, but the Fujis look pretty attractive. Especially the 12x32s as they're not crazy heavy.

Last edited:
Hi Kevin:

Maybe I can help out a bit here, having picked up the Jr's recently; I planned to post a review in the equip section and may yet if I can find the time- unfortunately I purchased these at a way steep discount, and so my pair carries only a 1 yr warranty.

Being on an IS bin jag of late, these caught my attention as a complement to the Canon 10X42 L IS I got ahold of last summer. I blown away after looking thru a friend's pair and just couldnt believe how much difference IS made in my birding enjoyment. There is a review on the net where the author compared a range of Canons to the 14X40 Fujis, I think, and much preferred their view to the Canons. He complained of not being able to get accustomed to the small scale jitter/judder/shudder/stutter whatever you call it, those small scale oscillations of the image sometimes present in the Canons. The Fujis have a different kind of IS mechanism that does not display this slight dithering. Compared to the 12x36 Canons I was also looking at, the Fujis have a nearer close focus of 12 feet or so, while the Canons come in only as far as 19, maybe 20 feet.

The Fujis are a mixed bag (what bin isn't?) both optically and mechanically. The Jr's have an outboard battery compartment, and a hand strap that is an integral part of that arrangement, which I like in some ways. The hand strap helps to, um, stablize the bin during use. Unfortunately, after about a month of use, the rascal basically self destructed. The whole affair is secured via some small rubber protusions that snap into some equally small holes when the strap loops thru the plastic guide and doubles back on itself. It's a little hard to explain w/out being able to look directly at the contraption, but trust me it is a poor way to carry the weight of the battery compartment and the strain of having a hand inside, and pressing against the strap. I told Fuju customer service as much. They were sympathetic, but hastened to add that "plastic and rubber parts are not covered under warranty"- if I had shelled out full retail for the things, I would have really been one riled up birdwatchin' hillbilly. As it was, I had no choice but to haul out the ol tube of super glue and tack the thing together forever and ever amen. This means I am no longer able to adjust the strap, but it beats having the thing flapping in the breeze, especially when the wire running from the battery box is part of this design, and would soon, I suspect, pull loose from the body of the bin. If you can look at a pic of this glass on the net maybe you can see what I'm talking about.

These are PC and MC roofs, about on a par with such bins as Monarchs; maybe just a tad softer. They certainly don't have the clean etched image or snap to focus of alpha roofs or decent porros. Color is OK, seems neutral enough, focus is smooth, though not anywhere near the caliber of the Canon L's. They also seem to suffer from what I think has been tagged "veiling glare" by some of the participants in this forum; a sort of cresent moon shaped translucent glow of light, centered at the bottom of the field, with the "horns of the moon" extending up around the periphery of the view about a third of the way around, both sides. Actually this reflection is more prominent than I am used to, and seems to appear, in some circumstances, even on cloudy days when viewing away from the sun. Eyerelief is just adequate at 15mm, but OK for me and my thin progressive lenses. I think the apparent field is about 60-degrees or thereabouts.

So how does the Fuji's IS functioning compare to the Canons? Well, the Fuji is advertised as having a 3 degree error correction, while the Canon's spec is maybe around 1 degree. Well, MAYBE there is a 3-degree stabilization effect, but what I think I am seeing is some manifestation of hand tremor WITHIN that error correction field, if I am characterizing that correctly. The Canons, OTOH, are rock steady, like on a tripod. By the way, my L's do have a bit of that image judder, while my friend's has not a whit of this kind of periodic softness.

Don't want to come down too hard on the JR's- IS is so special, I'll take it warts (whatever form that takes, Fujis or Canons) and all. If one is interested in using such a bin at close quaters, then the Fuji might be more useful. If mostly for long range use, I would definitely recommend a Canon 12X36 audition, or even side by side shoot out, if possible.

Hope this helps,
UTC

Excellent feedback UTC, thank you!

I think I need to audition both, plus the Nikon. I want to have a good look at the body of the Fujis to size up their mechanical integrity, besides having a lengthy look at what their servo goodness does for me. After reading your post (several times) and knowing a little about the Canons, I'm left with the feeling that stabilized binos are not a mature product, yet.

At the risk of being obvious, I'd like the following to be found in my IS bins:
Excellent optical quality
Shudder free workings
Ergos that are better than a toaster oven
Waterproof (actually)
Solid mechanicals
Reasonably close focus

You probably have the best one available in the 10x42L IS, but 10x isn't enough of a carrot for me to go IS. Steady magnification is the lure.

I'm a little surprised at your description of flare in the Fujis as (and you may already know) Fuji's porros are stunningly free of any ghosting or flare and their EBC process is universally lauded.

Thanks again for your post :t:

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised at your description of flare in the Fujis as (and you may already know) Fuji's porros are stunningly free of any ghosting or flare and their EBC process is universally lauded.

Veiling glare like this has more to do with properly thought out baffling and little to do with the coating quality.

They also sound like they've been optimized for IS from vehicles (and boats and planes) with a lot of bouncing around rather than Canon which seem to be optimized for hand holding and lower amplitude bouncing.

Anyone played with the Zeiss IS bins? They have a passive magnetic system (no batteries!). Used by some Russians too.

There is a partisan but interesting overview here:

http://www.russianoptics.com/page15.html

Veiling glare like this has more to do with properly thought out baffling and little to do with the coating quality.

They also sound like they've been optimized for IS from vehicles (and boats and planes) with a lot of bouncing around rather than Canon which seem to be optimized for hand holding and lower amplitude bouncing.

Anyone played with the Zeiss IS bins? They have a passive magnetic system (no batteries!). Used by some Russians too.

There is a partisan but interesting overview here:

http://www.russianoptics.com/page15.html

Baffles, coatings, lack of honoring certain gods, they are produced by the same company. So, the people that bring us the FMT-SX also produce an optic that's rife with flare.
Your comment does raise a question with me however. Even with insufficient baffling, wouldn't the coating of every lens surface with a process that allows very nearly 100% transmission greatly reduce flare?

I read your link and it raises another question:
"Because Gyro Stabilized Binoculars are relatively heavy they are not so great for traveling, walking, or hiking with them and more suitable for deployment in certain place for prolonged period of time. They may operate from batteries with option to use external power source connected with the cable. Using external power source is not a big obstacle while it deployed in a permanent place where the power is available. In fact, it eliminates the annoying need to manage battery charging.
Start-up time to speed up the motor is about 20-40 sec."

So why not just use high powered bins on a tripod?

The Zeiss system does indeed sound interesting.

Even with insufficient baffling, wouldn't the coating of every lens surface with a process that allows very nearly 100% transmission greatly reduce flare?

Unbaffled specular reflections are very, very bright. Our eye's have logarithmic sensitivity so it nicely smoothes this out for us. But even when you get something which only reflects 0.1% of the light when the light source is four orders of magnitude brighter than the target the reflection is same brightness as the target. The sun is something like 10^6 lux or so when you look at it directly.

This is one of the reasons why matte black paint with a 1% reflectance is not much help for suppressing stray light in a bin barrel and you request

Though in this case it sounds more like a poorly baffled bin with not quite those start of the art optics. Different designs from the same company can have very different goals.

I read your link and it raises another question:
"Because Gyro Stabilized Binoculars are relatively heavy they are not so great for traveling, walking, or hiking with them and more suitable for deployment in certain place for prolonged period of time. They may operate from batteries with option to use external power source connected with the cable. Using external power source is not a big obstacle while it deployed in a permanent place where the power is available. In fact, it eliminates the annoying need to manage battery charging.
Start-up time to speed up the motor is about 20-40 sec."

So why not just use high powered bins on a tripod?

The Zeiss system does indeed sound interesting.

Because the bad guys shoot at you when you get out of the HMV to set up a tripod? ;)

The biggest users of gyro stablized bins are the military. They want a steady 14x image either handheld or on the move from a vehicle, boat, plane or helicopter or from a fixed observation post and they like just one bin for that useage.

Not an issue for birders (though the bins are heavy and I've never seen a birder/naturalist using a gyro stablized bin) as fortunately the birds aren't armed yet (though some landowners are).

Not sure what stabilizing system the M25 use.

Because the bad guys shoot at you when you get out of the HMV to set up a tripod? ;)

The biggest users of gyro stablized bins are the military. They want a steady 14x image either handheld or on the move from a vehicle, boat, plane or helicopter or from a fixed observation post and they like just one bin for that useage.

Oh yeah, I forgot they drive around a lot.

Back to the Fujis, I'll stop wondering the whys and have a look for myself, whenever that might be. I do want a look at those 12x36 Canons as well.

I'd love to read a comparative evaluation of these ... even if it's just playing around with them in a store. Hands on with a single user can often yield a useful insight or two!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back