• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK you 8x guys, I give in (1 Viewer)

Yes, that was an earlier comment. I was no longer interested in the 8.5x Monarch. And Minox is not all that interesting
Minox BD 8.5x42 BR Binoculars
Field of View 315 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 18mm
Close Focus 9.8 ft.
Weight 27.7 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) 5.75 x 5.0 in.

Swift 8.5x44 is a little better, Field of View 336 ft./1000 yds

I have given up and take both 8x and 10x with me these days.

I am still struggling with the 8x and 10x dilemma. I do not seem to get by with 8x alone. If I bought the best 8x42, or 8x43, would I see as much detail at long distance as with 10x? I often use a tree or other obejct to steady myself, and can hold the 10x steady. I use them in winter. In summer and in woody areas and parks I use mosly 8x32.

I do have a scope. But it saves me time to scan at 10x and not have to take out the scope from the car at all.

wait till you see what quality 7mag bins can do,you will never want to use those 10's again.take a look through 7+42 trinovid,ultravid,swarovaski slc etc.

matt :t:

Well spoken Matt!

My Swarovski SLCnew 7x42 is an excellent binocular. Long eye relief, large sweet spot, large exit pupil, good depth of field. Actually an ease of view which maybe not overcomes by any other binocular. It's also comfortable to hold and provides a stable image.

For a short while a higher magnification may unveil somewhat more details, but in the long run I doubt you will gain much by using a 10x binocular, if you don't mount the binocular on a tripod.
But you get a more shaky, and dimmer image at lowlight conditions.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Well, OK, then. In that case I do not need anything badly. I will go 8x, it will be as good as 7x at under 1000 dollar range. Unless I need an 8x42, the only major format I do not have. I tried a 200 dollar Vortex, but it was not bright, at 8x42.

Opinions on Pentax 8x32 DCF SP? I could not distinguish it from Bushnell Legend 8x32, my best 8x32. The Pentax 10x42 I liked.

Last edited:
I was just reviewing my 8x stuff. The porros are gone. The 8x32 Eagle Optics has seen lots of travel and many lifer birds. I decided it stays. I think "snap to" focusing is mostly a 8x and 7x phenomenon, and these are my most snaptooest pair. I prefer them to the 9x25 reverse porros and the Excursion 8x28s. In sunny weather the Excursions are OK, but these 8x32s have been fine all year round, in rain, etc etc.

All I have to sell, then, would be my 10x42 Monarchs and an old scope.

The goal is to get another 8x or 8.5x at 40-44mm. Not porro.

Last edited:
The goal is to get another 8x or 8.5x at 40-44mm. Not porro.

I wish I could help you Tero but I am only getting rid of both of 7x42s (Zeiss and Swaro). Are you still focused on the 400 foot mark for field of view or have you decided to go for something more conservative?

... I am ... getting rid of both of 7x42s (Zeiss and Swaro).

Wow! Are you abandoning the 7x format?

Your situation appears quite interesting. Based on this thread and the other related ones, you've been able to compare head to head perhaps six of most talked about (at least on BF) and tempting bins out there: FL 7x42, SLC 7x42, 8x32 EL, 8.5x42 EL, and John Traynor's Ultravid 7x42 and Nikon SE 8x32 - what a line-up!

Based on the limited viewing I've had the opportunity to experience, I'm not surprised that you are keeping the two ELs. My favorite model, mostly based on various visits to the stores, has consistently been the EL 8x32. It's the one I always pick up (or pick back up) and say "WOW", for all the same reasons you've mentioned. That said, the 7x42 config still intrigues me because of the ease of view. But, I just hate to go down in power and way up in weight and bulk. It just doesn't seem, well, necessary. I may be in the "why not a 7x32(or better yet, 7.5 x 35)?" crowd.

Tero: I found the (apparently discontinued) Minox BD 8x32 more satisfying than the Pentax. However, although I use the BD quite alot, I wish for a greater ease of view, which means I either a) use my Nikon EIIs more and risk damaging these prized gems on rough treks, b) spend significantly more money on an 8x32 roof - perhaps Meopta, c) spend significantly more money and also change to a different config such as 7x42/8x42, or d) spend even more money on what I really want - EL 8x32. But, if you're wanting to keep it under $500, how about the Minox HG Demo Meters model at CLNY?

APSmith

Thanks. I am not actually shopping for a 8x32. I posted in the Pentax forum so that we would have info on 8x43 and 8x32 in the same thread. That is the main decision most buyers make, there are fewer birders that look at 10x.

My front runner for an 8x42 right now is the Viper. We have none I can find in town to look at it. Brightness and clarity are the issue, fov of 350 or more is an added plus.

OK, so much for saving up for Vipers and any formerly mystery glass. I feel a purchase coming along. Ding, here it is. Will need to visit the post office. I never buy with a credit card, unless there is just one in stock.

If no good, it will go back, but it is definitely an 8x42.

OK, so much for saving up for Vipers and any formerly mystery glass. I feel a purchase coming along. Ding, here it is. Will need to visit the post office. I never buy with a credit card, unless there is just one in stock.

If no good, it will go back, but it is definitely an 8x42.

Ok, so I missed this when you posted it. What are you getting?

Let us just say Bushnell for now. Maybe it will be going in for an exchange before I have time to fully test it. ;)

Birds have been on my mind for a week or two. I missed a chance at some shore birds before teal hunting started.

The EX series of Excursion is a puzzle. The optics can't be that different. Perhaps to compete with the Leupold Mojave. The Mojave seems to be, to me, Monarch quality glass.

But, not yet, though I may get to see them yet, with enough exchanges. ;)

Hmm, then something else?

..an E2 maybe? I haven't heard very much about them.

I can't think of any others that are relatively new and might float your boat.

If you decided to eventually go the 7x42 route I have a pair of Bushnell Discoverers that are going up on Ebay shortly. ;)

The 7x42 would do fine for my experiments, very few scheduled, at sundown. But I mainly wanted to see how bright 8x42 was. Then, if the field is wide enough, I can use them in woods part of the year, competing with 8x32. The 7x42 I would have most use of on a boat.

I believe many folks like the 7x42/8x32 combination. One for low light performance and the other for its compactness and handling.

Let me know....they were fairly inexpensive to begin with. ;)

I will pass. I had one pair of similar 42mm Fujinons and there was something I did not like. Plus all I will carry these days has to be under 25 oz, better yet 21oz. I think yours are close to 2 pounds. But I may be able to pass myself off as a porro guy again. ;) It might only last a week, who knows.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back