• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The elusive hawfinch (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Can anyone confirm if the hawfinch has been seen in the Clumber Park area this year or even last year, Please.
Having read in a birding magazine how they can be seen here, I made a phone call to check and was told they can be seen in the trees behind the chapel.
After making the trip (2 hour drive) each way, we looked and saw nothing, however we were told by another chap watching the birds with all his equipment that he hasn't seen them there in over 4 years.
So can anyone tell me if they actually exist in Clumber Park, please
Thanks

Last edited:
I've copied and pasted the more recent sightings in Notts. As you can see there have been recent sightings of Hawfinch at Clumber but the last sighting was early february.

Added Species Area Site Present
21:35 06/02/10 Hawfinch Notts Clumber Park
three near Chapel
15:48 06/02/10 Hawfinch Notts Rufford CP
at least two in avenue of trees by car park
11:28 01/02/10 Hawfinch Notts Clumber Park 11:00
two in the chapel gardens late morning
08:52 31/01/10 Hawfinch Notts Rufford CP
one in car park this morning
11:07 20/01/10 Hawfinch Notts Rufford CP 11:00
one by the children's play area car park looking towards the Hall
19:36 04/01/10 Hawfinch Notts Clumber Park 11:20
one still in trees near chapel but mobile late morning; also a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
16:38 03/01/10 Hawfinch Notts Clumber Park
four still in trees behind chapel
15:56 03/01/10 Hawfinch Notts Clumber Park 11:00
still in trees behind church
15:19 03/01/10 Hawfinch Notts Clumber Park 11:00
one in trees by the chapel this morning; also Willow Tit and Pink-footed Goose
19:28 02/01/10 Hawfinch Notts Clumber Park 10:00
four in trees behind church

not so elusive hawfinch

Where abouts in Silverdale can they be found, please

sizergh castle is your best bet, they have been seen on a daily basis with 9 reported today in main car park. Before you enter sizergh castle grounds check area around pub, ive had two there recently.
cheers
steve

Where abouts in Silverdale can they be found, please

I have seen one there only once, and was shown the site by a friend, so can't give directions. It was within about 2 mins drive of the Leighton Moss RSPB centre as I remember. You could try asking on the BF Lancs thread for further info.

I don't think numbers there are very good. Sizergh is more reliable as several birds can be seen around the carpark at certain times of the year. I last saw them there in November when they were being seen regularly, perhaps because the Hornbeam trees there were laden with seed.

If you want to see them, try to visit at a time when they are being reported regularly. Check the Birdguides website for sightings, even if you are not a member. An early morning visit is recommended before the birds are disturbed by visitors. My first visit drew a blank, but the second time I went I got views like this. A still, sunny morning is best. Windy conditions make them hard to see.

Steve

Attachments

• DSCF5882-2.JPG
    DSCF5882-2.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Thanks for your info, I will proberly try Seizer castle next, or maybe Woodwell lane on the way, is there a particular time of day that is more likely for themn to be seen.

Thanks for your info, I will proberly try Seizer castle next, or maybe Woodwell lane on the way, is there a particular time of day that is more likely for themn to be seen.

Early morning is the best time to visit before crowds get there, but the birds can turn up at anytime. You just need to stay in one place and let the birds do there feeding circuit, car park been the best place to stay as theres always a few birders looking. good luck! :t:
cheers
steve

he clumber hawfinches do exist, i've spoken to people who have seen them personally i never have, despite growing up within about 20 minutes drive of the park and now rapidly approaching my 40th year of visiting the place.

Not really, but get there soon, before the leaves appear on the trees, makes life much simpler.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for your help, I am now going to try Sizergh Castle, So wish me luck, and Captaincarot maybe you should try somewhere different too.

Thanks again everyone for your help, I am now going to try Sizergh Castle, So wish me luck, and Captaincarot maybe you should try somewhere different too.

probably, but my parents are curently living in worksop and we're going to see them this weekend so we will be off for a walk round clumber. which means i will once again be staring up into the trees round the chapel and it's a nice place with plenty of other birds to see it's probably given me around 30% of my lifers through the years.

14 in the car park at Sizergh castle this morning per Birdguides.

Can you tell them to hang around for another week or so as we are staying in the area then.

We did see one in November when visiting and even though it was only for about 20 seconds I was so happy....mind you at first I had convinced myself it was a really chunky Chaffinch. ;)

Are the hawfinches at sizergh castle just passing through or are they permanent residents that can be seen all year round?
thanks

Are the hawfinches at sizergh castle just passing through or are they permanent residents that can be seen all year round?
thanks

Most Hawfinch sites are winter sites only, very soon I guess they will disappear deep in the forest, so your time is running out. Winter is the time to see them, also when trees are devoid of leaves, Hawfinches love feeding in the mulch on the ground by hornbeams but they are very sensitive to disturbance and very shy. They can come to a site and quickly disappear for a few hours so early morning is generally best but not essential, because it is quieter.

my wife and I made an early visit to Sizergh castle. Got there for just after 8.00am, no sign of the finches. However as we got there an NT warden was just driving out of car park gate so he may have scared them. We sat in front of the cafe for 2 hours and no finches. Problem was from about 8.45am there was a steady stream of vehicles coming into the car park. There was a volunteers meeting that morning and the gardens were closed on that day.

From there we looked in at Woodwell, no finches there either, I would not regard this site as reliable any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back