• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goosander or Merganser (1 Viewer)

rezMole

United Kingdom
At first, i thought it was a merganser, but as it was at Penning Flash near Wigan, in Lancs (which is fairly inland, and at a place where Goosanders are relatively common), i suspected it was more likely a Goosander.

I submitted the picture in my gallery, and someone else suggested it might be a merganser. Any comments?

Attachments

• CopyGoosander.jpg
    CopyGoosander.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 324
I THNK that's a female Red-breasted Merganser...but if I'm wrong, in my defence, I AM extremely tired, suffering from toothache and have had two glasses of wine....so that's ME pi***d! LOL

GILL

Bill shape wrong for R-B Merganser. Goosander for me, thicker, less upturned bill and a generally thicker set, less "dainty" bird. The crest i believe is incidental, especially as it is most likely a juvenile.

Tim Allwood said:
the sharp 'cut off' of the brown head is a very good feature - more gradual in RB Merg

Tim

I agree. The distinct boundary between white breast and red throat rule out the R-B Merganser. It looks like the common merg, which apparently is called a goosander in your parts. As mentioned above, the bill is also thicker than R-B.
Scott

Hi,

Dead cert id feature is the bill... Goosander with a bit of a hook downwards at the end - RB Merganser slightly uptilted....

If you can't get that good a look, Goosander normally has a clean division between the dark head and pale neck/breast. RBM you usually just get to see a white collar.

kajrowe said:
Goosander very common in Penn. Flash. Could it be a hybrid?

Hi Kajrowe,

No, not a hybrid - an immature (first winter) male, still partly in juvenile plumage, but starting to get adult in patches

Whoops...outnumbered LOL Well..in my defense I WAS feeling a bit tipsy!
If I saw it in the field I'm sure I'd be a lot more positive about the bird's ID...especially as I see both species VERY regular around here!

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back