• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An empty garden (1 Viewer)

phyllosc

I have recently moved into a newly built house which is on a newly built estate. Only a few yards away there are older houses with established gardens and around these I have seen Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, House Sparrows etc. While overhead I see/hear Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Jackdaws, even a Greenshank! I placed a birdtable in my garden some months ago with a seed mix on it and I've recently hung some 'fatballs' on it too.

My problem is no birds visit the table!

I admit the garden is a simple lawned affair apart from a recently planted silver birch and a small new 'wildlife' pond. I know the birds will eventually arrive, probably when the cold weather starts. However, here is a question for you keen green-fingered birders, what plants should I put in my garden to attract birds?

Garden-Plants.

phyllosc said:
I have recently moved into a newly built house which is on a newly built estate. Only a few yards away there are older houses with established gardens and around these I have seen Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, House Sparrows etc. While overhead I see/hear Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Jackdaws, even a Greenshank! I placed a birdtable in my garden some months ago with a seed mix on it and I've recently hung some 'fatballs' on it too.

My problem is no birds visit the table!

I admit the garden is a simple lawned affair apart from a recently planted silver birch and a small new 'wildlife' pond. I know the birds will eventually arrive, probably when the cold weather starts. However, here is a question for you keen green-fingered birders, what plants should I put in my garden to attract birds?
Hi, if you have this months birdwatching mag, there is a great artical just for you. If you have not got it I would get a copy, its just what you need to put you on the right track for plants & bushes-shrubs. good luck with the garden & your birds.
bert.

What a great opportunity, blank canvas, can I reccommend cotoneaster as a close to table encouragement, and plant shrubs in a close formation, (cram as many as you can in a small area) all berrying shrubs, with a buddlea in the middle (insect encourager) I have several Hebes too which the birds like to use as a ladder to one bird table, and water to bathe in amongst them. Wonderful to watch the little birds early in the morning bathing and feeding. I do have a yucca in there for the birds, as when it flowers aphids seem to be drawn to the spike, and the birds love the free feed. The more height you can get as fast as possible covered in trailing plants Ivy, Clematis Tangutica (sed heads are to die for according to the finches and tits) climbing roses for their hips, and a dense planting of spikey shrubs for protection against predators, Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Rosa rugosa, and Pyracantha, Berberis,snowberry, but that can become invasive. With all those plants you can be sure you have pretty nearly covered most things, but a crabapple would really be popular with thrushes. perennials like Ice plant, evening primrose and golden rod asters and daisies will encourage goldfinches, and all the other fich families, but best of all is dandelions, don't bother grubbing them out as they are food for all finch family. The most important thing though..... don't use slug pellets anywhere, try and be organic as after a few losses nature will find it's own balance. I came into my place nearly ten years ago and lost loads of plants to the slugs and snails, but patience will be rewarded if you avoid baiting, mine is now winning prizes!

Thanks

Thanks for your replies, everyone. You've certainly given me a starting point. Now, do I go and twitch a Pallas' Warbler or get out my spade and fork!???

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back