• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual coupling (1 Viewer)

PollyJ

United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Last spring a young starling had an accident in my garden and damaged a wing. Over the next few weeks we built a ladder up to the bird table and made a shelter for him or her to nest in( we named the starling Shifty) gradually shifty began to fly again but only around our garden. Around the same time a fledgling thrush took up residence and we noticed that whichever area of the garden she was in then shifty the starling was close by. It is now the end of November and the pair are still together in the garden but they now nest in my neighbours conifers. Some times I go a few days without seeing them but as soon as the thrush turns up at the feeding area you can guarantee that Shifty will turn up. He doesn’t stay around when all the other starlings turn up and prefers to stay hidden in the Ivy until they go away. Has anyone ever noticed this friendship before between 2 different types of bird ? They don’t nest together but our neighbours hedge is like an apartment block with shifty on the top floor 😁 it makes me smile to see them together and I know that come spring and the mating season arrives then the friendship may become non existent.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back