• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest box inspection (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
A bluetit decided to check out one of our boxes today. It stayed on the roof for about six seconds, then perched on the hole for nearly 1½ minutes looking all around, took a peep inside, looked around the outside once more and went in. It stayed inside for about 45 seconds, then off it went - and there were no further visits. Malcolm creosoted the back gate yesterday (with cresote substitute, of course) - and the smell is everywhere, so perhaps the bird didn't fancy that!

Attachments

• 200411011007131.jpg
    200411011007131.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 200411011007382.jpg
    200411011007382.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 200411011008541.jpg
    200411011008541.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 71
I presume you'll be checking for roosting birds this winter?

Hey EB - I got two blue tits in the garden yesterday a record. Now they've got to start using the feeders!!

Did you think it may already be considering nesting?

Did you think it may already be considering nesting, or was it just looking for winter shelter? I must admit it is still far too warm and the buds on some trees and shrubs are trying to break as if spring is on it's way.
Elizabeth I hope it is just looking and hope it returns at the right time of year to raise its family, as I doubt it would succeed in raising a brood now, if the winter suddenly came in as it did late this year. Have you ever had that happen in your garden?

pduxon said:
I presume you'll be checking for roosting birds this winter?

Hey EB - I got two blue tits in the garden yesterday a record. Now they've got to start using the feeders!!

Yes, we shall. Congratulations on your bluetits - with a bit of luck they might tell their friends about the feeders. |=)|

What food are you offering them? I can recommend home made suet blocks - but you turned down my offer of sending you my recipe!!! :eek!: It's very easy - I made two in about ten minutes yesterday, though that doesn't include the washing up!

Nina P said:
Did you think it may already be considering nesting, or was it just looking for winter shelter? I must admit it is still far too warm and the buds on some trees and shrubs are trying to break as if spring is on it's way.
Elizabeth I hope it is just looking and hope it returns at the right time of year to raise its family, as I doubt it would succeed in raising a brood now, if the winter suddenly came in as it did late this year. Have you ever had that happen in your garden?

No, I reckon it was just looking around. The box was only put back a couple of days ago, after being cleaned out, and Malcolm was working nearby on the gate and the mount for the external camera yesterday, so really this was its first opportunity to inspect it .

Nina P said:
Whew, I was getting concerned as I thought they only bred once a year, or have I got that wrong too!

Well according to my Collins guide to nests, eggs etc, they are single brooded in the west and south of the country, and double brooded in the east and north!!! It also says the breeding season starts a few weeks later in the north. Let's hope someone with personal experience will have some thoughts on this!

We have had a Great Tit roosting in our camera covered nest box for about the past week, the trouble is it prefers to sleep on the shelf/insert at the very top so all you can see is its tail moving as it is breathing. It has just slept on the floor once.

This is the 3rd year we have had roosting GT's.

If it decides sleep on the floor again I will try to get a picture from the link.

Marmot said:
We have had a Great Tit roosting in our camera covered nest box for about the past week, the trouble is it prefers to sleep on the shelf/insert at the very top so all you can see is its tail moving as it is breathing. It has just slept on the floor once.

This is the 3rd year we have had roosting GT's.

If it decides sleep on the floor again I will try to get a picture from the link.

I don't blame it - the camera will warm the top of the box. Do you leave it on all night? One of our birds used to go up near the camera too.

well EB it just go's to show we all need to snuggle up to keep warm, so Malc put the tools away Elizabeth would like cuppa &cuddle, how often do you take your boxes down to clean them & is there a good fluid to use to disinfect.
All the best be happy.

walt-m said:
well EB it just go's to show we all need to snuggle up to keep warm, so Malc put the tools away Elizabeth would like cuppa &cuddle, how often do you take your boxes down to clean them & is there a good fluid to use to disinfect.
All the best be happy.

Here is what the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust said on their website:

After the end of each breeding season, all nestboxes should be taken down and the old nesting materials removed, and the box should be scalded with boiling water to kill any parasites. Do not use insecticides or flea-powders - boiling water is adequate. Annual cleaning is best carried out in October or November.

Under the terms of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, if unhatched eggs are found in the box, they can only legally be removed from October to January inclusive, and they must be destroyed! It is illegal to keep them.

We put this on the first page or our 2003 Diary, because people kept asking us about it - but this will save you the bother of looking for it!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
I don't blame it - the camera will warm the top of the box. Do you leave it on all night? One of our birds used to go up near the camera too.
When we realised that we were not going to get any nesting BTs we turned it off a few months ago, but would keep on checking on the odd occassion in case anything was visiting.

When we returned from holiday just over a fortnight ago I put it on and noticed that something had been in, so it has left on ever since. When checking it before going off to work about a week ago I noticed the twitching tail. Even on the night it was on the floor I had convinced it was a BT. (Our camera is just B & W).

No inspections by a bluetit today - but a very unwelcome visit from another creature! :C

Our website is now being updated - but I doubt if there will be a lot to say - we've never had a roosting bird while we've had cameras in the boxes.

Attachments

• squirrel1.jpg
    squirrel1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 88
  • squirrel2.jpg
    squirrel2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 95
Elizabeth Bigg said:
Well according to my Collins guide to nests, eggs etc, they are single brooded in the west and south of the country, and double brooded in the east and north!!! It also says the breeding season starts a few weeks later in the north. Let's hope someone with personal experience will have some thoughts on this!
Hi Elizabeth

Here in the North West the Blue tits are single Brooded while the Great Tits are multiple brood. The B Tits start nest building normally from 19th-29th April.

Interesting how obviously important the nest boxes are for winter roosting. I myself have a Blue Tit and a Great Tit taking residence for the winter (seperate boxes of course).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back