• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sad but better outcome than expected.....but what next? (1 Viewer)

MermaidCity

United States
This is my second clutch of wrens. I lost the first due to a snake ate all the babies (yes, I let the snake go). Second clutch much quieter. Today, no peeping, no momma or daddy around. Looked up and there it was, head resting on the home door from the inside. I got on a ladder, taped the hole shut and put the house in a container with lid. Snake came out, removed birdhouse. Snake regurgitated 3 babies after capture. I went to release the snake away from my home but heard a peep coming from the house as I was on my way to my truck and the birdhouse was sitting out for me to clean on my back patio table. LIFE!!!!! OMG. I ran the house back to my front porch and reinstalled it. Less than 30 min mom or dad came.....hesitant at first...but they fed it! I'm so awed by this behavior. Nature is so amazing. I don't know how to protect the one at this point. Do I bring the birdhouse in at night and put it back in the morning? Or just let it be? I wasn't going to put the house back up until I had protection (next year). Maybe add garlic around the base of my pillar on my porch?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back