• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIY prototype Binocular Attachment for Tripod (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

DIY prototype Binocular Attachment for Tripod

I recently came across a thread where the OP had made a tripod adapter for his bins that attached to the barrel of his bin. I thought it was good idea but was concerned, as was one poster, about its strength.

I searched the internet and found a plumbing fitting

http://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-f...try-rubber-lined-steel-pipe-clip-clamp-pp7502

to attach a pipe to a wall that had a rubber lining. The brackets are inexpensive, but postage is not, so I bought three, for the same postage, so that I had spares to work with.

Most of the bits used I had already and most of these are in one of the photos.

The bent angle bracket is strong enough to hold the bin but it is not rigid so I used a stiffener. Originally I used super glue to attach the one to the other but that did not work reliably. I therefore used self tapping screws to make the angle rigid. I needed to saw a couple of notches in the angle bracket first to enable the two components to fit snugly.

I also used bolts with their heads cut off onto which I screwed the wing nuts, using a locking adhesive, and also bought nylock nuts for additional security.

i made two prototypes. Both work. The first prototype is unpainted and the second is paited black, and weighs about 210gms (7.4 ozs)

They seem to work well and they have the advantage that the IPD can be easily adjusted for different IPDs.

I don’t like ball heads and use fluid heads that only have two degrees of freedom. The size I used fits my 42 mm and 50mm Swaros. The wing nuts can be adjusted so that the bin barrel may be rotated to produce a level view whilst still holding the bin securely.

I would not use them on single hinge bins unless they had a significant flare out to the objective end.

I do not understand how an expensive Alpha binocular can be regarded as such without a suitably placed tripod exit, particularly at greater than 8x.

Attachments

• P1090263r1.jpg
    P1090263r1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 103
  • P1090264r1.jpg
    P1090264r1.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 118
  • P1090265r1.jpg
    P1090265r1.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I do not understand how an expensive Alpha binocular can be regarded as such without a suitably placed tripod exit, particularly at greater than 8x.

It allows them to sell over priced plastic adapters |:mad:|

This type of mount is not unusual, and it is not a common type for a very
good reason. They are not solid enough, and that is why most are fully supported
at the center or at both barrels.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back