• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Binoculars are these? (1 Viewer)

ariban

This pair of Bins have been with me since 1994. I bought them used off a gentleman 3 years after joining service for an INR equivalent of 22 USD (1994 rates approx)
They have no distinguishing mark except for ‘JAPAN’ written on the front round disc of the hinge.
The two eyepieces focus independently and the left barrel has a graduated cross hair inside (reticle?).
The strap is an after market strap I had picked up in 2001 or so.
the construction is metal with a rubber/ PVC armour. It is quite heavy. I have bever had it serviced nor felt the need to. It has travelled with me to the moist eastern himalayas, to Kolkata which is quite humid all year long, forests of Odisha, South India and of course the heat and dust of Rajasthan. It is crystal clear with no haze or fungus and is bright and sharp. The eyepieces focus slowly but precisely. Its depth of field is great and if I leave the two graduated eyepieces to - or -1, it is sharp enough for most birding purposes.
Would appreciate any help in identifying these. These are now retired. Maybe will give them to a kids birding club one of these days.

Arijit

BB56C2AB-16C0-4570-A83B-66A9223FA47A.jpegE1E2C0BD-7FC4-461F-BDB9-9B330CB85707.jpeg5063AFBD-B841-4321-86A6-96AC70E0F184.jpeg617E0BD1-0953-4BD6-A409-F3FAE0449252.jpeg1F34C42C-1A56-4482-9A7B-6DEFC1DC35C8.jpeg

I once had a Pentax Marine 8x30 IF and they looked quite similar, although the wheel on th eyepiece is somehow different.

PentaxMarine8x30_1.jpeg

I don't seem to be able to read it on your unit, but on the bridge of the left tube, close to the central hinge cap reading "Japan" mine has the code of the manufacturer, J-B21 (Ashai Pentax). Maybe you can try to look for a similar code, that should give you some hints about who made them.

I have never had it serviced nor felt the need to. It has travelled with me to the moist eastern himalayas, to Kolkata which is quite humid all year long, forests of Odisha, South India and of course the heat and dust of Rajasthan. It is crystal clear with no haze or fungus and is bright and sharp.

These are now retired. Maybe will give them to a kids birding club one of these days.

Arijit

Whatever they are, that is an impressive testimony to their build quality. It sounds as though they have certainly earned their retirement, yet by the sound of it they seem able to give good service for at least a couple more decades.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back