• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

oriole in Arizona (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Hi all,

I got this oriole visiting my hummer feeder this week in SE Phoenix.

I am assuming its a first year bird.

Attachments

• JV8A0218 oriole.jpg
    JV8A0218 oriole.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 55
Difficult but, the yellow on the breast seems paler than on the "face", and appears to be rather straight across the breast ( not an elongated 'V' shape ) which would suggest Bullocks. Bullocks is also the default member of the pair in AZ.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am a bit concerned about another ID. The bird above and this one came at the same time. I very rarely get orioles.

I identified the below bird as a female Hooded. I thought there was a chance that the above bird could be hooded because of the decurved bill and the company it was keeping.

Thanks for a look at the female below.

Attachments

• JV8A0208 Hooded2.jpg
    JV8A0208 Hooded2.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 32
I could be wrong but, I've always thought Baltimore / Bullocks has a finer, more "spiky" bill and Hooded a heavier looking / bulky "Thrasher-like" one. Hooded, being a much smaller bird, also appears to have a more "innocent" look to the face than the more "sneering" one of Baltimore / Bullocks. Having said that, I've only ever seen a couple of dozen juvenile Hoodeds so .............

In these female/younger plumages Hooded is generally uniform yellowish, while Bullock's has an orange head and tail with the rest of the body greyish.

A legitimate concern though is orchard vs hooded, particularly for your second bird in that plumage.

Last edited:
I did a follow up on the second bird and concluded Hooded. The Orchid has a noticeably shorter tail. Thanks for the observation.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back