• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification required (1 Viewer)

DaveT

HI All
Looking for enlightenment regarding some unidentified images taken during a trip to Southern Arizona in May of this year.
Apologies in advance for the quality of the images, distance, environment and bird size all contributing to this.
This 1st image was taken along Hereford Bridge trail, Sierra Vista, Arizona USA.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Dave

Attachments

• DTT_6084.JPG
    DTT_6084.JPG
    580.8 KB · Views: 46
Interesting. By shape it reminds me of the larger flycatchers (Myiarchus or Tyrannis), but it's not one I'm familiar with. Unlike, say, ash-throated flycatcher, your bird has no yellow on belly, no cinnamon on tail, and much paler beak.
My guess is northern beardless-tyrannulet, Campostoba imberbe. That matches your photo well and nests in your location.
Cornell's website describes this bird as small and active, hopping frequently from branch to branch, unlike its more stately cousins. And it should have a distinctive whistling call.

My fall-back position would be an Empidonax flycatcher, maybe Dusky. I can't say why, but your photo doesn't fit those as well for me. (Location is also a factor: close but not great for Dusky or Gray or...)

My guess would be a Hammond’s, but I am far from certain.

Interesting. By shape it reminds me of the larger flycatchers (Myiarchus or Tyrannis), but it's not one I'm familiar with. Unlike, say, ash-throated flycatcher, your bird has no yellow on belly, no cinnamon on tail, and much paler beak.
My guess is northern beardless-tyrannulet, Campostoba imberbe. That matches your photo well and nests in your location.
Cornell's website describes this bird as small and active, hopping frequently from branch to branch, unlike its more stately cousins. And it should have a distinctive whistling call.

My fall-back position would be an Empidonax flycatcher, maybe Dusky. I can't say why, but your photo doesn't fit those as well for me. (Location is also a factor: close but not great for Dusky or Gray or...)
Thank you for your suggestion, I had northern beardless-tyrannulet as my go to bird but there were doubts about some of the matching features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back