• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Doves in Danger -- please help (1 Viewer)

JStorey

A pair of mourning doves have decided to use my hanging basket as their new home and guess what else is in there....yep, an egg. Only one though. Anyway, i live in a Condo & the basket is on my balcony. The exterior of the building will be painted in the next couple of days & i tried talking to the painters about the nest and they said "we'll take care of it" and i was trying to convince them i don't want the birds & egg taken care of. Ugh! If i try to move the nest will the parents find it? If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

JStorey said:
A pair of mourning doves have decided to use my hanging basket as their new home and guess what else is in there....yep, an egg. Only one though. Anyway, i live in a Condo & the basket is on my balcony. The exterior of the building will be painted in the next couple of days & i tried talking to the painters about the nest and they said "we'll take care of it" and i was trying to convince them i don't want the birds & egg taken care of. Ugh! If i try to move the nest will the parents find it? If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

No, I don't think it's a good idea to move the nest.
All you can do is talk to the painters and tell them to keep away as best they can.Tell them you don't want the egg disturbed.Good luck.

I can't see why moving the nest would be a problem, provided it's only a short distance. A pair of Pied Wagtails successfully raised 3 young from on board a boat which was used twice a week and moored in different locations at my local reservior. If the area adjacent is being painted and this is definately going to keep the birds off the nest then moving the basket is probably the best thing to do. The birds may abandon anyway, but I'd have thought it less likely than if the basket remains where it is.

JStorey said:

Mourning doves are forever building nests in really dumb places. I love them, but sometimes they don't have much sense.

Do try to convince the painters to leave the basket alone as much as possible. I mean, how long can it take to paint behind the basket? Seems to me as though they could move it for a few minutes, then put it right back. That really should not cause a problem. And try to convince them to get done and away from there as quickly as possible. Good luck to you!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back