• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock or Crag Martin (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Some one identified it as a Rock Martin but when I looked at my Collins book I thought Crag Martin because of dark-ish vent and the very obvious tail mirrors.

He said the following were reasons for Rock - Pale throat. UW coverts not as contrasting with flight feathers as in Eurasian. In crag martin all UW all coverts r dark, while in rock martin only carpel area is dark (Collins)

Anyway would like further opinions. From December 2016 - Gwadar, south-west Pakistan.

Attachments

• 18301578_1383435378389040_2939696905156646270_n.jpg
    18301578_1383435378389040_2939696905156646270_n.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 64
Agree with your friend that it's a Pale Crag Martin Pytonoprogne obsoleta for precisely the reasons cited. And Crag Martin would be well out of range.

Rock Martin P.fuligula occurs in Africa.

Grahame

Agree with your friend that it's a Pale Crag Martin Ptyonoprogne obsoleta for precisely the reasons cited. And Crag Martin would be well out of range.

Rock Martin P. fuligula occurs in Africa.

Grahame

You beat me to it, Grahame, but I would just add for Himalaya's benefit, that the relatively recent split of Rock Martin s.l. is probably not reflected in many of the older field guides and reference books, even the Collins FG and the otherwise reasonably updated app. The app still shows the pre-split map and doesn't mention Pale Crag Martin, just Eurasian Crag Martin, P. rupestris.

The app is otherwise pretty exemplary in updating other splits.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back