• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethical Birding (1 Viewer)

JasonSprengard

I am a newbie as some of you all know. I think that my field craft is probably pretty good as I have been herping for years. I still have yet to flush anything, and if I see a bird that I think is stressing out by my presence I get some good shots in a couple of minutes then I leave it be.

So I am curious, what would YOU all as birders consider ethical birding AND what makes for good field craft in the art and science of birding?

....if I see a bird that I think is stressing out by my presence I get some good shots in a couple of minutes then I leave it be.

Hmm. If you think the bird is stressed by your presence wouldn't the most ethical response be to leave immediately rather than spending a couple of minutes photographing it?

Thats not what I meant, I meant more keeping a watchful eye on me. If a bird is blatantly stressed I will leave immediately. But then again how does one tell other than it flushing right away?

I know that I have read it. I am asking all of you what you all think is right and wrong beyond that code of ethics. Like if you see people harming the wildlife do you think you have a responsibility to stand up for them. Or do you think that disturbing the nest sites of alien species is a right or wrong thing to do? That kind of a thing.

You might also consider that if you ever get into (for instance) year-listing or doing a Big Year as I understand the American terminology is, you should tick recognisable calls so as not to feel any need to disturb shy skulking species. (It saves effort too.)

In a British context this provides an ethical approach to e.g. Corncrake, always assuming you don't start using tape lures of course!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back