• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding sites near Portsmouth (1 Viewer)

cbutler

I am going on a cruise from Southampton next week. I will have half a day to spare as my wife is visiting a friend in Portsmouth.
An ideas for some good birding nearby

Although not local, I am a fan of Pagham, had great views of an osprey last time I was there. If you have time I would give Medmerry a go too :)

Church Norton Spit is a nudist beach - no problems for me - but fore warned etc..

I'm a fan of Pagham too.... always made a point of going there (usually more than once) when visiting relatives in the area; however, with just a half day to work with, it could take a good half an hour to get there from Portsmouth, more if the traffic is bad.

That is why I eventually went for Farlington which is right on the doorstep and another place I always made a point of going to.

Although not local, I am a fan of Pagham, had great views of an osprey last time I was there. If you have time I would give Medmerry a go too :)

Church Norton Spit is a nudist beach - no problems for me - but fore warned etc..
Really??? In forty years of visits I've never seen a human in a wild state anywhere round Pagham.

John

I am going on a cruise from Southampton next week. I will have half a day to spare as my wife is visiting a friend in Portsmouth.
An ideas for some good birding nearby
Do you have transport and any target birds you would like to see?

Yes I will have a car. No real target birds just want a good days birding
That makes life a lot easier! Farlington Marshes and Titchfield Haven would be the obvious targets.
Titchfield is between Soton and Portsmouth and a lovely little reserve with good hides. You can combine it with the canal path along the floods for some extra species, incl. Glossy Ibis.
Farlington is just beyond Portsmouth - it's not that big but a great circular walk. Short-eared Owls are still showing well I believe, and keep an eye/ear out for Bearded Reedlings at both locations.

Let me know if you need more detailed information or directions.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back