• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

improvements on my trustee kowa tsn 823 (1 Viewer)

thomasbarker81

I'm thinking of getting a new scope and would be replacing a kowa tsn 823, I was also thinking of down sizing to a smaller scope, has anyone got any recommendations as to what scope will be optically better. Anyone ever compared the swarovski at65 HD with this scope?

Thomas,

John is right. Nothing smaller is going to be as good. An ATS 65 HD is the best scope of that size, but it is simply not going to equal your Kowa unless your particular sample of the Kowa is clearly subpar. If you want more compact and close to equal, the ATS or ATM 80 HD will be significantly smaller and a bit lighter, and given a good sample, about the equal optically but not really better. The Swarovski has a bit brighter image, but personally I would not side grade if I had a good Kowa 823.

For an actual upgrade to an optically better scope, you would have to go to Kowa 883, Swarovski ATX 85 (which is considerably more compact than your Kowa but not lighter in weight) or a Zeiss Diascope 85 FL, and even then you would have to make sure that the sample you would be getting is actually optically superior to your particular Kowa. The only current scope significantly and obviously better than your 823 is the ATX 95, but it is a bit bigger and markedly heavier at 2.25kg.

If you can afford it, and don't have to sell off your 823, a good option would be Swaro ATX 65. You could then use either scope depending on the situation, and then later get the 95mm objective module to finally retire your Kowa.

Kimmo

I agree,,the 823 is a super nice scope.Early Unit's AR coatings are perhaps the only point that might be not so up-to-date,but as far as resolution that Fluorite lens is very good..They also seem to be very consistent regarding performance..I owned an 823 and am 824 and both were extraordinary ..I havent ,for that matter,heard of a Lemon in that series ,but I have seen,or heard of, MANY broken units,,more indeed that any other high end scope,but that is mostly regarding the old version..
You havent mentioned what eyepiece you use or own,..perhaps You have already upgraded your eyepieces but if you havent,thats something you can try to revive the performance...I owned the new wide 30X and It is very nice..lots of eye relief,wide and Sharp to the edge..Too bad Kowa,unlike Swaro, changed bayonets and the last generation zooms can not be fitted in the 82..I bet the newer wide angle zoom would REALLY revive your old 823..
Just keep it and get yourself a nice 65..The Swaro ATX Is indeed a good option ,but not cheap...or You can wait to see how the new Nikon Monarchs hit the market in the UK,and how the reviews talk about their performance...

In Defence of the Swarovski ATS 65HD

I have not compared the ATS 65HD with your Kowa scope, but others have:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/gear/scopes/compare

See also:
http://www.livingbird.org/netcommunity/bbimages/lb/pdf/ScopeChart2008.pdf

11 years ago I decided to down-grade in size (from an Optolyth TBS80), and after much research and testing, settled on the ATS 65HD. I have never regretted that decision. About a year ago I spent a whole day in the field with another birder comparing the Swarovski 65HD with the 80HD (with x30, x45 and 25-50 zoom eyepieces). Only in the dimmest light (looking at a distant perched Merlin at dusk) were we convinced that the 80HD offered any optical advantage. The 65HD is smaller, lighter and focuses closer (which I find useful for viewing and digiscoping dragonflies).

Sadly, Swarovski no longer produce the x30 eyepiece which I prefer to the excellent 25-50 zoom. The x30 has a longer eye relief and, as a specs wearer, I find it much easier to use than the zoom. However, the zoom comes into its own when searching for, and viewing, really distant birds.

Optics are always a compromise, but personally, I find the smaller size, lighter weight and closer focusing of the 65HD a real advantage over the 80HD. I have not compared the 65HD with any of the newer Swarovski scopes.

Don't dismiss the ATS 65 HD; go and try one!

Last edited:
In Defence of the Swarovski ATS 65HD

Peter,

I too have an ATM 65HD and agree with you and Kimmo that the Swaro HDs are probably the best 65 mm scopes available.

Mine is also used with the 30x W eyepiece and I'm just not willing to accept the physical and optical discomfort associated with a larger scope and zoom eyepiece.

However, I do believe that at higher magnifications and in low light the 823 would have the edge.

John

The Kowa Prominar 77X series would not be much of a step down optically but certainly more compact/lighter and more robust. IMO, it is the best sub-80mm scope made.

The Kowa Prominar 77X series would not be much of a step down optically but certainly more compact/lighter and more robust. IMO, it is the best sub-80mm scope made.

I also agree ... used with the new Kowa 25-60 zoom eyepiece on my Kowa Prominar 773 makes this combo simply amazing .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back