• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me please. (1 Viewer)

goldfinch22

Hi to everyone,

I know you probably get a good few of these type of help requests and I hope I am not annoying you all.
Okay.... I found a little bird outside my front door yesterday, Pretty sure it's a goldfinch. It appears to be early fledgling stage with a little but not much flight. I took him in for a little while and he seemed to come around well, so I took him outside and let him on the lawn for a couple of hours watching him as he tried to fly and went into bushes and long grass. I stayed back and waited to see did parent come along. It didnt. So it starting to pour rain in the evening . I took him in and tried to get him to take water but he wouldnt. So he stayed the night , I took him back outside this morning and he flew off ... as far as the field at the end of the garden. I left him a long while to see if parent would come, no joy. I eventually found him and fished him out of long grass. As the day went on he slept a bit and I tried to give him water with syringe , but got very little in. He seemed to like picking at things so I got a box of seed and he picked and picked but spat every one out. He is weak and keeps falling over. But is very used to me now and doesn't mind me a bit. I just want to get some fluid into him at this stage to get him through the night. How can it be done when he wont take it from syringe and wont take it himself. I know he needs his mother but I tried and cant see her coming. I cant just leave him in the long grass in the night. He needs more strength now to do anything. Any help, Please ???

Hi goldfinch22 and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

We have some guidelines for you here. Most fledglings are still being fed on the likes of caterpillars for the first couple of days, which is where they get their moisture.

Good luck and let us know the outcome please.

D

thanks Delia for the guide, I will try and find someone local who does this sort of thing , but I'm afraid on the weekend I mightn't get much luck. In the meantime I find he is so weak that he may not survive the night. I did try leaving him alone and kept an eye on him outside yesterday and today, but no parent came. believe you me I'd rather not be doing this, cute and all as he is.

Just to let you know that the little guy shuffled of his mortal coil in the wee hours this morning and flew to brighter skies. He went nice and peaceful and warm which is better than cold and starving in the long grass in my mind. Thanks for the advice, delia.

I'm sorry to hear that Goldfinch. It does sound like he was pretty poorly when you found him.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back