• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland in February - tips? (2 Viewers)

cloudarms

United States
Hey peeps!

I'll be going to Iceland for a (mostly non-birding) trip with my husband in February. As any avid birder/lister though, I have got to get some birding in while there. The plan is to stay about a week: three nights in Reykjavik, three nights in Vik. He's not opposed to birding (he suggested a couple birding days on our honeymoon in Mexico; I've got a good one), but when I travel with him it's not our main focus.

With that in mind, and given where we'll be traveling, does anyone have any tips as to good spots to hit up? I fully understand that the days are much shorter at this time and it's not exactly the most fruitful time of year for birding in the area, but would love to see a few target species in particular:

King Eider
White-tailed Eagle
Gyrfalcon (I know it's protected, I just want to know it's not impossible)
Thick-billed Murre
Water Rail
... and of course others, but I feel like even the above may be a tall order

Really, just looking for any birding areas that are promising this time of year since we'll only be birding at most half of the time.

Any tips you've got please send 'em my way. Thanks so much!

Hopefully Edward or another local will see this and respond as I have only been to Iceland once, a while ago and in the summer so my information may not be up to date or accurate, but in the meantime:

King Eider is a rare vagrant so it is a matter of if one is in the country whilst you are there;
I would have thought that by then White-tailed Eagle are likely to be near their breeding areas, mainly in the Western Fjords;
Gyrfalcon are spread sparsely but I believe can be seen in the Reykjavik area but I don't have any details;
Brunnich's Guillemot (Thick-billed Murre) are best seen around the Reykjanes, Snaefellsnes & Latrabjarg bird-cliffs but some harbours may be good;
I believe Water Rail is no longer considered as a breeding bird in Iceland so, apart from a rare vagrant, is unlikely.

Sorry not to be more positive on your targets but, whatever, you will have a great time as the scenery is fantastic.

Hopefully Edward or another local will see this and respond as I have only been to Iceland once, a while ago and in the summer so my information may not be up to date or accurate, but in the meantime:

King Eider is a rare vagrant so it is a matter of if one is in the country whilst you are there;
I would have thought that by then White-tailed Eagle are likely to be near their breeding areas, mainly in the Western Fjords;
Gyrfalcon are spread sparsely but I believe can be seen in the Reykjavik area but I don't have any details;
Brunnich's Guillemot (Thick-billed Murre) are best seen around the Reykjanes, Snaefellsnes & Latrabjarg bird-cliffs but some harbours may be good;
I believe Water Rail is no longer considered as a breeding bird in Iceland so, apart from a rare vagrant, is unlikely.

Sorry not to be more positive on your targets but, whatever, you will have a great time as the scenery is fantastic.
No worries, thanks for the suggestions!

I've been keeping an eye on bird as the day draws near.

“Foresttwitcher” has answered a lot of your questions but I’ll give you a winter perspective.

King Eider is a regular but scarce winter visitor, mostly turning up February-April (although some stay all year) and almost always found in flocks of Common Eider. I haven’t seen any reported recently but they turn up in harbour areas, especially in the south-west, including Reykjavík.

White-tailed Eagle is rare in the areas you are visiting, it’s mainly found in the western part of the country (although some do wander). I wouldn’t get my hopes up though, I’ve never seen one in Reykjavík.

Gyr Falcon is found in Reykjavík and in the Vík area in winter but it’s just a matter of luck, as there aren’t many of them, but they are around. Coastal areas best outside the breeding range (they don’t breed in Reykjavík).

Thick-billed Murre – rare in the south in winter, harbours.

Water Rail – I saw my first one for 13 years the other week, which shows that they are rare. There have actually been two birds at the eBird site Andrew mentions but it’s not an easy bird to see.

So Gyr Falcon is your easiest target, which is saying something, but you should have a nice trip, the area around Vík is really beautiful with spectacular scenery and amazing coastlines. Do the Katla ice cave tour from Vík if you have time (and if it’s running in Feb?), it’s fantastic.

One piece of advice for winter travel is check the weather forecast every day before you leave to go on your day out, ask at your hotel if in doubt. The weather in Iceland can be pretty bad in winter (for example the roads to all the main tourist areas were closed yesterday afternoon because of blizzards). If the authorities say don’t travel, don’t travel. Safetravel – The official source for safe adventure in Iceland is a good reference and this map of current road conditions is very useful Travel Conditions – Safetravel

Closest to Rvk I've seen WTE was Hvalfjordur, Gyrfalcon only once in the city and a few times near Grindavik (all winter records).
I recommend walking the coastal path from the harbour area to Seltjarnarnes. The scenery is nice (views of Snaefell on a clear day!) and you'll see lots of gulls, ducks, loons, etc. The small lake downtown has a few tame waterfowl and gulls, but not much else.
Reykjanes peninsula has great volcanic scenery for a day trip, but is otherwise very barren. Swing by Hveragerdi for the hot springs and Thingvellir/Geysir/Gullfoss waterfall on your way to/from Vik, it's a great and easy detour, and that section of the ring road is kinda boring anyway. Just before Vik don't miss the turnoffs to Dyrholaey (giant rock arch) and Reynisfjara beach. There's a fairly accessible glacier called Solheimajokull (don't try to climb it without a guide!), plus beautiful waterfalls at Skogar and Seljalandsfoss - right on the main road and not to be missed.
Have a great trip!

Thanks so much @Edward and @Nohatch! I appreciate the insight.

The way I see it, I'll be seeing at least a handful of new-to-me birds regardless; that's part of what I love about international birding! I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled and hope for the best, and worst case scenario I'll stop by a geothermal pool to cleanse away my bird-related sorrow :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back