• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bats (1 Viewer)

The answer to that, is: generally, no.

However when the temperature increases considerably, even in mid-winter, bats can be roused from hibernation. Sometimes they come out and hunt when awakened in this manner.

I saw one a couple of nights ago. I also saw a bumble bee today - same sort of thing here too.

Two days ago (Thu 13 Jan), I was surprised to see a pipistrelle feeding over our garden for about 10min at midday (temp c13degC). We usually only see them during Mar-Nov.

Richard

I also saw a bumble bee today .

The sightings of Bumble Bees could be down to the fact they now overwinter - in UK - as colonies. Until very recently only queen Bumble Bees lived through the winter. Bats - particularly Pipistrelles - will emerge from hibernation throughout the winter if the temperature rises.

Chris

Chris is correct bats will emerge from hibernation to feed and more importantly drink as they do dehydrate easily, when the temperature allows for it. So seeing bats occasionally in mild spells during winter is fine.

Mark

Bats:

Bats are flying mammals in the order Chiroptera. And webbed and the front of the bat and has also developed wings, which makes it the only mammals capable of flight and, of course, real and sustainable. There are about 1100 kind of bats worldwide, representing about twenty percent of all mammal species are confidential. About seventy percent of bats and insects. Most of the remainder frugivores or fruit eaters. Some species, such as food for fish-eating bats of other animals from insects and bats, and vampires are the only type of parasite of mammals. Bats found in almost all the world and make a vital ecological role as pollinators of flowers and fruit seed dispersal. Many types of tropical plants are entirely dependent on bats for seed distribution.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back